Thursday, April 27, 2006

Thoughts For The Future

OK - I know I'm getting a little obsessed by this heartrate stuff but there ya go - I'm never really happy unless I'm learning or thinking as much as I can about something.

Obviously having been involved in sport for yonks and having had Level 1 (the lowest) Coach Accreditation pretty much since they introduced the concept, I've been aware things like training zones, interval training, resistance training, nutrition etc and their impact on results - but like many I've never really given a whole stack of thought to how the whole shebang fits together.

Apart from anything else the "no pain, no gain" and "go hard or go home" concepts have been hardwired into my bonce since birth, so whilst all this easier stuff is all very nice for beginners and returning from injury it definitely isn't for 2P - well think again Scoop!

So to contextualise this - I have a couple of simple philosophies:

Your actions need to be in sync with your aspirations (otherwise you are just dreaming).

If your actions do not progress you towards your aspirations you need to try another way.

So what are my aspirations?

1. To actively be a nuisance to my grand kids and great grand kids :-) - generally, to be an old geezer who younger people can see as a bit of a role model and like to be around because I am not an old fuddy duddy. Part of this aspiration is to stay happy, healthy and active till my number comes up, whenever that may be.

2. Not have too many regrets as I head into the twighlight years and be satisfied that I gave this game called life a fair crack.

Now as far as number 2 is concerned - so far so good - but I'm not exactly going to be ready to hang the runners up till I have achieved a few more running goals and frankly, according to my philosophies above something clearly needs to change to enable these goals to be reached (and no - I'm not tellin - my goals are my lil secret).

In terms of number 1, unless I can streamline the ole 2P a bit the physics and physiology of the situation are agin me.... I eat well, exercise very regularly, don't smoke yada, yada, but I am also very short for my weight ;-). And though I have tried, I now know I can't grow any taller, so another solution is required.

In short - I require a more holistic approach to my training - not necessarily more, just more balanced.

The following I lifted from a website for walkers and I reckon it is one of the best written descriptions of training zones in simple language I have come across.

TRAINING ZONES

Healthy Heart Zone (Warm up) --- 50 - 60% of maximum heart rate: The easiest zone and probably the best zone for people just starting a fitness program. It can also be used as a warm up for more serious walkers. This zone has been shown to help decrease body fat, blood pressure and cholesterol. It also decreases the risk of degenerative diseases and has a low risk of injury. 85% of calories burned in this zone are fats!

Fitness Zone (Fat Burning) --- 60 - 70% of maximum heart rate: This zone provides the same benefits as the healthy heart zone, but is more intense and burns more total calories. The percent of fat calories is still 85%. Ignore this zone to your peril.

Aerobic Zone (Endurance Training) --- 70 - 80% of maximum heart rate: The aerobic zone will improve your cardiovascular and respiratory system AND increase the size and strength of your heart. This is the preferred zone if you are training for an endurance event. More calories are burned with 50% from fat.

Anaerobic Zone (Performance Training) --- 80 - 90% of maximum heart rate: Benefits of this zone include an improved VO2 maximum (the highest amount of oxygen one can consume during exercise) and thus an improved cardio-respiratory system, and a higher lactate tolerance ability which means your endurance will improve and you'll be able to fight fatigue better. This is a high intensity zone burning more calories, 15 % from fat.

Red Line (Maximum Effort) --- 90 - 100% of maximum heart rate: Although this zone burns the highest number of calories, it is very intense. Most people can only stay in this zone for short periods.


So what does it all mean - well up until a couple of weeks ago I was completely ignoring anything below 80% - I literally never went there, virtually every sport activity I have been involved with since I was ten have had a focus on 80%+ and nothing much structured that went into the lower zones. I sit on my bum (mostly) for work and even with my approach over the last couple of weeks I'm still not doing anything under 70% (well mowing the lawn might count - but not even the grass is growing much now).... it's a wonder I haven't burst a foofoo valve!

So I'm going to continue the low heartrate stuff and also go lower still (on the bike or by walking). This is going to be important not only for improving my performance but also to lose a bit of lard(check the % rates of fat burning in each zone). And gives me a fair shot at achieving my aspirations above.

So I reckon my weekly schedule is going to look a bit like this:

Bike rides and walks targeted at both 60% to 70% zone and also 70% to 80%.
Long run and some other runs (maybe) at 70% to 80%
1 or 2 runs at 80% to 90% (plus generally my kung fu training sits in this zone)
1 session of speedwork i.e. 90% to red line

I will just mix it up depending on what I am specifically trying to achieve at any given point in time.....

Anyway a bit of a ramble but I wanted to record this for posterity.

6 comments:

Stephen Lacey said...

And posterity will thank you for it.

Don't forget though that you still burn more total fat calories at higher heart rates even if the _proportion_ of fat calories is smaller, just by dint of the higher total calories burned. So I think your optimal zone is that 68% to 75% for longish periods (hour plus). Ultimately, too, you have to reduce the calorie intake. You are talking about eating like a horse (got any good chaff recipes?) -- have you thought about {shudder} actually counting the calories you are ingesting and comparing them against those expended? It has to be in deficit or you won't lose weight. Simple as that. And if you are gunna get all anal and obsessive about numbers, you might as well go the whole big kahoona. I know that when I shed my weight, admittedly from when I was not very fit, I coupled increased exercise with a more careful diet (salad, rice, fruit, cut back on meat, no fried foods). Once the mileage got to the ridiculous levels I just forgot about the diet and have been fairly sable ever since.

TA and the Gnome said...

2P, that was well worth putting down. Very clear! I'd add weight (pardon the pun) to Stephen's comments, though. When I lost my weight, it was through a fairly severe reduction in total intake (and spreading that intake right through the day). I know it sounds ugly, but it's not too bad really :-)

Gnome

Spark Driver said...

As one who is trying to lose a bit of extra lard I will be watching your progress with interest.

I liked your two simple philosophies. We could use them in all aspects of our lives.

Steve's Stuff said...

I concur with the other Steve.

I've read elsewhere quite a while ago that even though lower hr training burns more percentage fat the overall calories burned is less than if working at an increased effort.

Whilst working at an increased effort more calories are burned and the fat burning percentage is less but when you equate it to actual figures more fat is in fact burned at higher intensity rates all be it at lower percentage levels.

I don't know about you but I have run extremely slow, deliberately slow, runs in the past. I can't see the point in them other than outright recovery type runs.

It will be interestig to hear your comments/results in time about this type of training.

D said...

You are so wise 2P! I am anxious to see your progress through what seems to be a very reasonable and achievable process.

Ewen said...

Try the plan 2P and see what happens. I agree with Steve L regarding balancing calorie intake/expenditure...

Many big/fit athletes have too many incoming calories.

I guess there's little hope of becoming taller for your weight ;-)