Thursday, April 20, 2006

Squishing The Middle

Today Total: 10k + 33mins (MTB)
Week Total: 36k + 2hrs 16mins (MTB)
Month Total: 163k + 4hrs 32mins (MTB)
Year Total: 875k + 6hrs 52mins (MTB)

Edit: Got home after a mighty long day at work and headed out for a quick 11k ride at 133bpm.

A taste of higher heartrate at training last night had whetted my appetite so this morning I decided to squish the middle of the tube of toothpaste for half the distance of my run.

A bit on the overcast and breezy side this morning - even got a couple of spots of rain early - but still balmy and I feel obligated to make the most of the good weather before it turns chill again.

Stats for those interested (including me):

3k @ 140bpm av 7.00mpkm (a bit hilly for first 2k)
5k @ 154bpm av 5.39mpkm (flat)
2k @ 142bpm av 7.06mpkm (hills)

Weight - no change but I didn't eat till 10.30pm (after training) last night so I am guessing I will have dropped another little bit.

154bpm is a smidge under 83% MHR for me and feels entirely comfortable to run at. My 75% pace on the flat is about 6.50mpkm - it is amazing that a mere 8% difference in heartrate can equal a 1.10mpkm differrence in pace......

I wonder if any of the guru's out there know of a relativity chart that shows the ideal heartrate to pace ratio through the spectrum? If anyone has benchmarked this stuff I'd be interested in your results.

PS - Sorry my blog is becoming so boring - don't be too perturbed - with my attention span things are bound to change soon - oh look there goes a butterfly ;-)

8 comments:

Chelle said...

cooooooooool, i lurve flutterbys :)

Bernie G said...

Very interesting experiment with the HR. It will keep me interested in the Blog monitoring the progress/changes.

Katie said...

I am hanging off evry word ;-) Seriously I am keen to see if your HR thing works for you...keep it up!

Tesso said...

I'm getting headspins ;-)

Don Juan said...

Sorry, just woke up, what was that HRM heart rate mumbo-jumbo again.

Good stuff getting up to 85% hrm, just go for self-gratification. I do.

Ewen said...

2P, Robert Song is bloggers' resident HR guru - he may have such charts.

Is that a real question GG? I'm presuming 2P's low HR training is to help with the weight-loss goal.

Some studies have shown that 'fat burning' occurs at low to moderate heart rates when exercising. Mitochondrial development is also good at lower heart rates although other research has shown HRs don't have to be low for this to occur.

Spark Driver said...

Wow a butterfly....How pretty :-)

Jen said...

I'm not bored. What colour was the butterfly?

;-)

PS A headlamp? What a great idea!