Saturday, April 15, 2006

New Approach

Today Total: 44k (Mtn Bike)

*Long Post Alert*

If you always do what you have always done, then you will always get what you have always got.

Farting around with a HRM recently highlighted a very salient fact - I am running too fast in training (hard to believe at my pace but sadly its true). Being on the wrong side of 90kgs @ a smidge under 178 cm I have to get close to 90% MHR to run @ 5.30 pace - now I can do this and hold it (somehow I managed 5.12 for 21.1k at the CC Half) for quite a period but a) I'm not losing any weight (obviously as not much fat gets burnt at these heartrates) and b) improvement is in teency increments.

Honesty time - I'm a bit fat, not hugely fat but I could stand to lose a few kgs - I'm also a muscly bugger - no chicken legs here and well chesty bond may have had just my build in mind (well maybe a taller version of me)  but I digress - I didn't do anything specific like weights or anything to deserve it - mostly it's attributable to genetics and an attitude that goes at things flat stick till something busts.

What to do? What to do?

Well somethings gotta give because being on the wrong side of 40 I don't want to be carrying this load into my twilight years and also (call it midlife crisis if you like) I'd like to get back somewhere close to the kind of pace I could run as an early tween - this means knocking about 4 mins off my recent 5k PB and 8mins off 10k. I also want to chalk up some more ultras (the two are not mutually exclusive - people like Blue Dog and Spud are good examples).

So enter the bike! Why the bike?

Firstly trouble with the ITB makes running everyday difficult and as most of my running goals involve hills I initially approached this from the perspective that the bike would help with hill running and give the ITB a rest - but I've made a few other observations lately.

Uncle Dave just ran a 2.40 mara, Aunty k a 4.40 (?) 50k, Minersrun is Tri-nut but does bugger-all running (well except for his recent IM campaign) by marathoner standards and he never has problems belting out 4min pace or so on his runs - all of them ride a gazillion miles per week on a bike.

Also an article in R4YL mag recently named the top mountain running gurus and most of them did the majority of their training again on a bike.

Now prima facie I was thinking this was all due to muscle specificity (for the mountain runners) and just increases in total training times (which to a degree it is both of these things) but after reading Hadd, thanks to Steve L *waves* (sorry can't do hyperlink via email blogging) http://www.ffh.us/cn/hadd.htm (which made my brain hurt) I am  starting to think a lot of it may be due to training at the lower heart rate zones that are easier to achieve with the mechanical advantage of the bike and the inherent benefits thereof.

Now I could achieve this running but the rub is I'd have to go so bloody slow it's embarrassing and as anyone who's ever experienced an ITB problem will tell you "slow = pain". Also for some reason my ego goes into cruise control on the bike - which it can NEVER do whilst running.

So the plan from here is to do some rides each week at no harder than MHR minus 50bpm = < 136bpm for me, my long run at 75% MHR no matter how bloody slow this is, one speed session per week and my other runs about 80% to 85% MHR.

And as there is no time like the present to start I went for a 44k ride this morning at average heartrate of 132bpm which is a bit low, but I'm still learning to judge what 136bpm feels like. I rode from my place at Concord to the International Terminal at Mascot Airport via the Cooks River Cycleway and return. A pleasant jaunt for a couple of hours even if it was a bit windy.

I must confess at that heartrate I felt like I was bludging so this is going to take some getting used to - I'll feel better once I've mowed the lawn :-)

15 comments:

Wobbly man said...

Sounds like a great approach 2P. Especially the "doing the same thing" quote!

Do I detect a tri option developing? Will be looking out for the swimming training...

Tesso said...

Sounds like a good plan, Stan. Though I think Steve L has created a monster :-)

Isn't it a little scary riding on the roads? Doesn't the cycling play havoc with the ITB? Most importantly, what colour is your bike?

Unknown said...

I thought your post was very funny, 2P! All that carry-on about weight, muscle etc...!!

Thank you over & over for your latest comment on my blog & all the others leading up the triumph in Canberra! 12 months is a long time to get even...stubborness must be in the genes!

Take care on that bike & as Tess asked: what colour is it?

Cirque said...

I'm sure the USS will thank you for the cross training c2P.

Horrie said...

I like the sound of that plan 2p. By holding back on your long runs, you should have more energy/zip for your other quicker runs. The bike sessions are good too because you probably burn more calories at a lower HR without hammering your legs as much. Are you looking at a PB in the SMH Half?

Jen said...

Funny, I've been thinking the same thing lately. Great minds eh?

After my C2S run last year, I am absolutely convinced about the benefit of riding to support & enhance your running. About time I got me a bike I think ;-)

Jen said...

PS thanks for the link to Hadd. I've seen a few references to it lately...

Jen said...

PPS Or does this not fit within Phase 1 or 2 of "The Plan" ?

Don Juan said...

Working on your 5km and 10km times are perfectly compatible with stronger ultra running.
Very interesting plan. Sounds like you've done your homework.
I haven't been for a bike ride for 3 years so no more gratuitious advice from me this week.
Good luck.

miners said...

I love the idea mate, and I know you'd already tentatively started on your biking quest a few months back - and yes, I think there's a strong element of credibility in your theory. As you said, my 55-65kms per week running is very small compared to many. I think the riding certainly compensates for some of the reduced kms, and adds much to my leg strength.

Having said that, Wobbly might have been even closer to the truth - I've been thinking myself about how much value the *swimming* I've been doing over the last 6 months has had for me. I used to downplay the value of swim-training, but I'm sure it's been a positive contributor to my overall fitness, and kept the injuries away while I was doing my higher volume stuff a few months ago (just didn't do it's job during the taper).

So perhaps we WILL see you motoring up and down the black tiles soon also :)

TA and the Gnome said...

2P, I think that your last idea was the best - lawn mowing as training. Now, when you've finished yours, there's another one here that you can train on... :-)

Good luck on the bike. I've been doing one session a week on one for about a year, but I couldn't tell you whether that caused or merely coincided with my last year's improvements.

Gnome

Hilda said...

I want to bike also!

Also I want to loose weight, I wish it plan works, I am copying you some models now!

Ewen said...

Good idea 2P - perfect for the low heart-rate training. The low heart-rate stuff will take off the odd extra kg.

The one thing I don't like about very slow running for low heart-rate stuff is that the mechanics of slow running are so different to what you want when racing.

Anonymous said...

They used the best materials and the right stuff blended in unique and trendy styles to produce their louis vuitton bags cheap. They had the best collection in the market and eventually people got attracted towards louis vuitton handbags on sale.After years of striving and hard ships, this company reached a position where cheap louis vuitton handbags are unbeatable.

Unknown said...

You can always find a Coach Wallets outlet in many cities in many countries, but we have Coach Gallery Outlets Online for those who would prefer to buy online. Either way, it is a good idea to get yourself a Coach Ergo Outlet Coupon so that you can enjoy additional savings even if the outlets already have Discount Coach Bonnie at reasonable price.



When one thinks of the word fashion and luxury, there are very few brands that come to mind. However, the one that stands out the most is that of Chanel Wallet . Founded in 1910 by the famous Chanel , it is a well known brand that is in demand for everything from its haute couture to the line of accessories and make up. It is also famous for the perfume replica Chanel handbags . However, that is not all that chanel watches stands for.