Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Mona's n Me

Today Total: 12k
Week Total: 12k
Month Total: 39k
Year Total: 751k

Mona's n me have got heaps in common - ok, ok so he is from regional Victoria and I'm from metro NSW and he is tall and thin and I'm...... er.... not. True, he is almost twice as fast as me over any respectable distance and he has represented Australia on numerous occasions and I never have - but apart from that we might have been brothers!

I even keep a happy snap I took of him at the 2000 Olympics on my coffee table - doubtless he has one of me lying around somewhere at his place. So in looking for a fartlek session to do as I head towards the SMH Half (one of his pet events) it only seemed right that I should adopt the Mona's version - thanks to R4YL and Bernie G for reminding me of it.

So after a 2k warm up I belted out 2 x 1min 30sec, 4 x 1min, 4 x 30sec and 4 x 15sec efforts with equal recovery between each one - well that's what I should have done anyway - due to a user error programming the Garmin I actually did 8 x 30sec which made it 22mins so I ditched the final 15's - numnuts!.

I really, really enjoyed this session it was fantastic fun at one stage another runner thought he would tag along but in DJesque fashion I just looked across and blew him off - I averaged 3.45 pace for that minute covering 267m. My quickest pace was my last 30sec (which showed I had been bludging) @ 3.25 pace I covered 146m.

To finish - what I really respect about Mona's is his longevity in the sport - I love the way he ignores the stereotype that you're done and dusted as a sportsperson by 32. Onya Mona's!

6 comments:

Don Juan said...

LOL 2ps.
I'm still laughing too much to write anything serious. Between your blog and Kit's blog readers must have a marvellous vision splendid of me blowing off big time.

Tesso said...

Yeah, and me and Mona's could've been brothers too :-)

Great sesssion, gonna have to give that one a go one day.

TA and the Gnome said...

The Monna Fartlek is the best fun. Maybe I have a short attention span, but because you're never thinking further ahead than 90 seconds, the whole 20 minutes just flies.

Gnome

p.s. I've done a few in the pool with the water running - great way to aleviate the boredom :-)

Horrie said...

Great session 2p. Good to see that you are still training strongly after 6 Foot. Don't want you slacking off like last year.

Ewen said...

Yeah, he just loves running and racing. Perhaps a 43 minute City to Surf at 50?

Bernie G said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed the session. I have been away from PCs/internet for a few days so it's nice to catch up.