Monday, April 17, 2006

Baby Brick

Today Total: 5k + 25k MTB
Week Total: 5k + 25k MTB
Month Total: 132k + 69k MTB
Year Total: 844k + 113k MTB

I was going to have a rest day today but when Mrs 2P announced she was off to the gym I had a look outside and it was such a gorgeous day I couldn't resist a quick session (settle down Miners I aint heading to the pool any time soon).

I pretty much did my 2 Bays route for the bike leg with the extra canal section thrown in to make up the mileage - those familiar with The Bay Run will know where I mean.

In keeping with the great heart rate experiment I kept my HR to < 75% MHR completing the 25k in 1.12.59 (av 20.5kmh) @ av 137bpm.

Now to answer a few questions - Tesso and LL the bike is RED of course, do they make them in other colours? And no the bike doesn't seem to aggravate my ITB if anything I think it is helping. For those who wanted to know how I established my MHR I ran 4k at > or = 90% theoretical MHR then gradually upped the pace over the last k to the last 300m where I attempted to sprint - the last 80m being uphill - if that didn't get me to MHR or close to it I'm not sure what will. I'm pretty sure it is accurate as I notice my breathing really changes gear about 143 bpm (4bpm above 75%).

Anyhoo nice ride onto the run.

I decided a 5k lap of Concord Golf Course @ < 85% MHR (158bpm) was the go. It felt fantastic - It might be the novelty of it but I think there is something to this HR stuff. Completed the 5k in 28.03 (av 5.37) @ av 153bpm and felt like I could have gone forever.

A perfect way to end a perfect training weekend - speedwork tomorrow ;-)

8 comments:

Tesso said...

Thanks for the explanation. I think you are liking this heartrate stuff just a bit too much ;-)


PS One of these days I will use my HRM for good rather than evil (ie checking my heartrate while watching TV).

Katie said...

Is there some sneaky training happening here????? Are you sure you have not got the speedos on???

Perfect around the bay this morning!!!

Rachel said...

Maybe not triathlons, but what about some mountain bike duathlons? I heard about a tri which sounds really cool where you bike, kayak and run.
I agree about the heart rate stuff. I noticed when I was running on a hot day that my HR was way higher at the normal pace, or with hills etc. It could be a good way to pace yourself when conditions are changing around you.
Looking forward to hearing about your progress with the HR stuff.

Spud said...

Bike is good 2P, you'll be stronger for it.
Good luck with the HRM training.

Don Juan said...

With all the technical detail, there could be an episode of mythbusters in the making here.

Spark Driver said...

So much for your rest day.

D said...

It sounds like you're onto something w/this HRM training.

miners said...

hee hee ... more sekrit training from the latest tri-convert! And talks of brick sessions! My evil plan is all falling into place