Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Mona's 305 Style

Today Total: 11k
Week Total: 11k
Month Total: 89k
Year Total: 801k

The new toy arrived yesterday - oh joyous day ;-)

Can't have a new toy and not play with it so I headed out around Canada Bay for a Mona's Fartlek. My pacing was much better than last week and most of the faster efforts were in between 4.10 & 4.20 pace - the exception being a couple of the shorter efforts at the back end which were a bit quicker. My goal is to get the faster efforts sub 4.00 pace.

I used the HRM with the 305 - I haven't done much with a HRM so I was a little in the dark about what to program as my MHR but took a punt on 190. The Garmin measured a 189 towards the end so I might be in the ball park (though that could have been spurious - haven't downloaded it yet to analyse properly - I suspect 190 might be a smidge high) - average HR for the faster efforts was between the high 160's & low 170's - which from a perceived effort point of view was uncomfortable but not flat stick.

Now the important bit!

Rationalisations (post road test) for a buying a 305 from the perspective of a GPS tragic (I now own four):

- It is way more comfy
- It looks better :-)
- It is RED :-) :-)
- It is definitely quicker getting a satellite fix, can even get a fix from inside the house (oh joy, oh joy)
- All 3 screens are fully customisable, not just with what you want to see but also the number of data fields
- Their is a greater choice of data to display eg the GPS accuracy grabbed my attention as  a neat but probably useless addition ;-)
- The new course feature that allows you to race a previous result for a particular run looks good (itching to try)
- The alerts and beeps seem to sound louder and a higher pitch so should be a little easier to hear around traffic etc
- There are enhanced navigation features for nav geeks (like me)

And did I mention it is RED :-)

Love it!

16 comments:

Hilda said...

I finally could download my workouts to the motion center and you are already talking about something else new!!

Enjoy it a lot and have fun.

Sorry to ask, is it the new garmin?

Lulu said...

What does a boy need with 4 GPS I ask? Sounds like this new RED one will definitely make you run faster. I'm getting Garmin envy but there's no way Garth can be traded up at this stage... present from Mr lulu and all.

Stephen Lacey said...

Sounds great. My only two negatives about the 301 seem to have been put to the sword: the size/ugliness, and the positional inconsistency/trouble with trees.

I predict that if you continue with the heart rate endurance training you will step up to a whole new level as a runner. You have the top end speed, so it is just a matter of training the aerobic system so you can hold that 80-85% of HRmax for yonks. But then, only if you want to.

Dave said...

We all know that red goes faster :)

TA and the Gnome said...

Oooh Red :-). I love red too especially if it helps you go faster.

Can we have a picture please?

TA

Spud said...

I'm incredibly jealous 2P, been a gadget freak myself. I must copy and paste your justification for buying and print it out, see how it rides with my lovely wife Sue?

Rachel said...

Cool. I want one :)

Don Juan said...

Only a freak Darwinian mutation caused the 305 not to grow naturally out of the left wrist.

Very primitive to enjoy the sensation of running without a 305.

silverfox said...

2p

just took a quick look at the blog, I have been a bit slack of recent. Your running seems to be really on the improve. Actually your 305 story reminds me of my first monafartlek session with 26 with his satellite signal receiver strapped to his wrist - no cheating allowed!

Thanks for all your support and apologies that I have been off the radar a bit. Keep up the training.

Tesso said...

What colour is it?

D said...

Red! I am jealous!!!! It picks up a signal in your house?????? Maybe it's best if I stop thinking about your new toy so I don't go out and upgrade!! :) Thanks for your kind note as always.

Jen said...

You and Mona - two peas in a pod!

BTW I like your 305 justifications so much I've borrowed them :-)

Katie said...

Boys and their toys!!!
Thanks for all your comments! I thought of you a few times on sunday :-)

R2B said...

I am so jealous!
I am bidding on ebay right now.Can't wait to race myself!!

Spark Driver said...

Man I want one so bad now thanks 2P!

Simlin said...

I am with Spark Driver...and everyone else who hasn't got one...I want one! But my still kind of new 201 will have to do for a while yet I fear.