Thursday, April 13, 2006

Searching For Max

Today Total: 5k
Week Total: 16k
Month Total: 94k
Year Total: 806k

Sadly the Ugly Step Sister turned up early for Easter by moving back in at the 15th k on last Sundays run. I had hoped it was just a drop in visit but on Tuesdays Mona's fartlek she made her intention to stay well known (ITB's are such whimsical yet demanding creatures).

I'm using my tried and trusted anti-social approach and am just ignoring her so I slipped out for a 5k lap of the block in search of a distant royal relative HR Max.

I took off at a fair clip going close to the 5min mark for the first k (mostly gentle uphill), then upped the pace to 4.40 for the second k (1/2 downhill, 1/2 flat) and pushed the heart rate up to an average of 168. The third k is all uphill and the heart rate went to an average of 174 and the pace dropped to 5.21. Over the 4th and 5th k it is mostly flat and I just concentrated on keeping form.

For the last 300m I put the pedal to the metal - the last 100 meters is steep uphill and I finally found Max at 186 so that is what I am going to program into the new 305.

The average heart rate for the entire run was 168 which means except for the 1st k I ran the distance at over 90% MHR. In fact the last 3k averaged well over the 90% mark

All up 5k in 24.32 (av 4.55) - pretty happy with that.

So Steve L any suggestions on where to from here?

7 comments:

Lulu said...

Isn't it a 305, not a 301 or are you keeping it incognito!

And why aren't you using it's given name ;)

Sounds like a good workout anyway and maxing out your heart rate probably scared off the USS.

Wobbly man said...

I think I have Garmin envy again :(
Sounds like a tough run to see where you were going to peak!

Steve's Stuff said...

Did ignoring your little problem work? I assuming it did. I take it that the 305 is a new toy.

Hilda said...

Good technic avoiding to socialize! Still you need to be strong enough to acomplish this!

Stephen Lacey said...

Yes. Get your ITB sorted out.

Stephen Lacey said...

Then maybe read Hadd and have a think about where heart rate training is leading you.

But to short circuit all that. I'd suggest living on a staple diet of ample servings of 75% (+/- 4%) of HRmax with the occasional large helping of 80-85%. Perhaps nibble on some light snacks of 90-95% once a week or so.

Also, assuming you do get stuck into this approach, make sure you do some benchmarking from the outset-- e.g. what pace are you running when you run at 80% of HRmax at 10 minutes into a run, 40 minutes, and 1 hour? Use the same flat course to measure this once a month or so and track the progress. Be aware that temperature and humidity will aslo play merry hell with the interpretation of these data, so record them as best you can.

That's about all I can offer.

Jen said...

What Steve L said ;-)