Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Lest We Forget

Today Total: 1hr 56mins MTB

So used to getting up early now I just can't sleep past about 5.00am (probably should have gone to an ANZAC Day dawn service) so I got up and headed out for a ride.

Took the Cooks River Cycleway option to Tempe and return. The morning was chill and I decided to wear my Skins under my short (padded) bike daks and fingerless gloves.

I didn't feel particularly cold but when I ran the cold water tap at home and it felt warm I knew I must be! No sense - no feeling huh?

All up 40k @ 136bpm.

For O/S readers today commemorates the first time in WW1 when brave lads from Australia and New Zealand went into battle on the foresaken penninsula of Gallipoli (Turkey). In short it was a balls up from the beginning but the ANZAC's held on for 9 bloody months far from home - the only really successful part of the campaign being the withdrawal under ANZAC leadership (finally) - the Spirit of ANZAC is deeply ingrained in the Aussie Psych - sadly this year is the first year we have been without any survivors from the war to end all wars.

Lest we forget.

7 comments:

Hilda said...

So, 2 hours on the bike, mmm it is happening to me, I like it too!!

I was thinking about a 2 hours ride on thursday... will see!

Lulu said...

Great to see the great heart rate experiment seems to be paying off. It's took me about 6 weeks to lost 3 kgs so I'm jealous!

Cirque said...

This morning I watched my 16 year old son 'plant' a flag to commemmorate one of the School's Old Boys who died in WW2. It was terrible to think that many of the boys who died were only a year or two older than him. I would like to think that we've learned some lessons but it doesn't seem so.

Lest we forget!

Spark Driver said...

Well summed up Anzac Day there 2P. Well done.

Don Juan said...

Riding a bike you must get thick skin ;-).

Good to see the HR experiment is paying dividends.

R2B said...

Lest We Forget.

Mandy said...

hi 2P thanks for the info. I have alot of military in my family..all my great grandfathers fought in WWI, and I recently lost a cousin in combat. I totally agree with you about the excuse to go to the malls. I am appauled by the commericals for US Memorial Day sales...if I ever see a Rememberance Day sale, I'll boycott that store forever...bad bad taste.