Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Play It Again Sam

Today Total: 11k
Week Total: 26k
Month Total: 153k
Year Total: 865k

Another mooch along @ 139bpm out around Canada Bay. Pretty fine morning out there again, this certainly has to be the best time of the year for running.

Haven't noticed any difference in pace yet - but it has only been 5 days.

I have however (despite eating like a horse over Easter) noticed a significant difference on the scales. Last Thursday morning I was 92.4kg which scared the willies out of me! By Sunday Morning (after the long Saturday ride) I had dropped to 91.5kg and this morning to 90.2kg. This alone has made the Great Heartrate Experiment all worthwhile. The great part is I haven't cut back a jot on the food intake and haven't been hungry at all (hunger is something I truly loathe).

For the last 12 or so years 90kg has been extremely difficult for me to get under so it will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

At this stage my thinking is (with just 4.5 weeks to SMH Half) to keep the majority of my sessions at < or = 75% for the next 2.5 weeks, then some forays to 85%, with a nibble at 90%+ in the last lead up. SMH was never a goal race so I'm happy to use it for the purposes of the experiment - no biggie if I crash and burn - by giving myself permission to fail I can also dare myself to have a real go ;-)

10 comments:

Chelle said...

Running at the moment is definitely great, no humidity or real heat and yet no cold mornings (yet!).

PortRunr said...

I did some low HR training over summer. I sympathise though because all you want to do is find somewhere you can shuffle along with no one else around. As soon as it gets busy you just can't help it, the pace picks up and the HR rises! Stick with it though, the benefits make it worthwhile.

Lulu said...

I'm taking a leaf out of your book now and trying to keep the heart rate down. Don't have a HRM so will have to stop and take my heart rate every now and then I think.

I'm very jealous of the weight loss. It takes near starvation for me to lose any weight! Hope you make it under 90 in the next week or so.

Hilda said...

It seems it is working, let's see what else happens. My weight always vary around 2 kgs, and can't keep it in the lowest point, hope you make it!
Still sounds very strange for me that your diet hasn't changed a lot...

Rachel said...

Sounds like the HR stuff might be worth sticking to for awhile. Looking forward to reading the results, discussion and conclusion of your experiment:)

Tesso said...

Hey 2P, I think I found that 2kgs you lost. Want it back?

Stephen Lacey said...

2 kg is not a bad start. If you keep upping the total training time, I'm sure you'll see a lot more -- unless of course your thighs start bulking up with all the cycling.

Give it weeks and months not days to expect to see a change in pace vs heart rate. Thus you really do have to keep the faith.

Katie said...

Haha your as impatient as me :-)

Woo hoo on the weight loss! You will notice a difference if your are lighter! Taking a risk often brings the best rewards!! We will have to catch up after the half.

Don Juan said...

I also see the SMH half not as a run but more of an emotional cage to move out of and explore my emotional boundaries. Only way to get the HRMax up.

Wobbly man said...

Well done on the shedding of the balast 2P. Going sub 90 is a great goal!