Friday, April 21, 2006

And So It Goes

Today Total: 10k
Week Total: 46k
Month Total: 173k
Year Total: 885k

Well today is the 7th day of The Great Heartrate Experiment - another 10k @ 140bpm.

My impressions thus far:

- I have genuinely felt better and looked forward to all my runs and bike rides, waking before the alarm and feeling energetic all day NB I've averaged less than 6 hrs sleep per night all week

- the dreaded Ugly Step Sister has moved out again (zero ITB pain today)

- zero other niggles

- initial weight loss has stablised at 90.2kg but my diet in terms of volume has been atrocious (note to self: fix this)

- some minor improvement observed through benchmarking the 7th & 8th k of my standard run (flattest k's), though frankly this could have been due to environmental factors and initial weight loss

7th k: 6.39, 6.38, 6.35 (all @ av 141bpm)
8th k: 6.37, 6.38, 6.32 (all @ av 141bpm)

- the times I have done a 30min ride in the evening have really made my legs feel great

- total training times (duration) have increased markedly which can't be a bad thing

- my two little forays to the 85% zone have left me feeling ecstatic

- it sates my need to have something new to obsess about

- I still feel self conscious when seeing other runners (particularly on hills when I can be going as slow as 7.30)

- I have a sore arse

Well onwards and upwards - I am going to stick with it for a while to give it a fair go but I need a nibble at 90% + soon to keep me from going too stir crazy.

10 comments:

Gronk said...

Yeah so how do you escape the sore arse syndrome (SAS) ? I try and jump on the static bike when i can and always end up with a numb bum !

Lulu said...

I had to go for a little blast myself today after two days of running at a slower pace. I managed to keep my heartrate down to about 135 in the last couple of days though. If I was going any slower I'd be walking.

Rachel said...

I've always hated running slow, but it might be worth it and I'm starting to enjoy just plodding along. It feels less stressful, no pressure to perform and it's nice finishing the run not feeling at all buggered :)

R2B said...

You should do around 80% of your training at a low heart rate according to some prominent Ex. Physiologists because the stress is lower yet the outcome (increase in Mitochondria weight loss etc) is the same.
Unfortunately the same can't be said of speedwork and lactate threshold training.Though you will arrive feeling fresher.

As for heartrate training try this link
http://www.ffh.us/cn/hadd.htm

Cheers R2B

Katie said...

Hahaha... you are deinately one of us 2P~ you know the anal obsessive types ;-) Nothing like having something new to obsess over to get us excited!!! Keep it up.... and I hope your butt stops hurting!!!

Tesso said...

Thats sooooo good about the zero pain and niggles. You could be on to something 2P.


PS Not being the obessive type I wonder how I got into Team J with you guys ... maybe to balance it out. I am a Libra after all :-)

Jen said...

What on earth would you do with all your time (!) if you didn't have this to obsess over now ;-)

BTW I hope your arse feels better soon :-)

TA and the Gnome said...

Two solutions to the numb bum;
a) keep going - it doesn't hurt less, but you learn to live with it (my solution), or
b) go to a good bike store (Blackmans in Parramatta is one) and get them to fit you to a good seat (tiger angel's solution). She got a new one when she got her latest set of wheels, and swears by it.

Gnome

Spark Driver said...

Keep it up. Im sure with time your arse will forgive you.

Ewen said...

A 90.2kg weight loss is sensational 2P! ;-)

Keep going - we want to see the final report and PHD.