Friday, April 14, 2006

Paying The Piper

Today Total: 10k
Week Total: 26k
Month Total: 104k
Year Total: 816k

Well that was awful!

I paid the piper well and truly this morning in penance for not doing a warm up or warm down for last nights dash for cash. My legs were tired and frumpy and it felt like I was running in clogs as seemingly my achilles on both legs had no bounce at all. To top it off the Ugly Step Sister nagged away right from the start.

My pace and heart rate were all over the place during the first 6k's with my pace range fluctuating between 5.30 and 5.50 and my heart rate from 140 to 155. By the end of the 6th k the nag in my ITB had turned into a real hurty bit that wouldn't be ignored so I put in a walk break during each of the last 3k.

The transition from walk to run each time was interesting to say the least but once I got into a trot it was managable for while and then I'd need to walk again - repeat.

Guess I've been a bit lazy with the treatment regimen because I'm not actively preparing for anything close - the SMH Half (though I have entered) completely fails to register even a flicker on my excitement meter and PMC doesn't seem quite real yet.

Looks like I'll have to dig out the ice and voltaren and get a bit disciplined again.

6 comments:

Superflake said...

You would think the ugly step sister would leave you alone on Good Friday. Ice, gel, rolling pin on that sucker. Whatever works best. Running with 5000 of your mates through an empty city doesn't excite you?

Stephen Lacey said...

Not surprised you were a bit flat after the hard run last night. Still, you'll be all the better for it next outing.

Tesso said...

I've had visitors keeping me busy all week and have been using that as an excuse to be super slack. So, lets make a pact to both get disciplined with our treatment. We can nag eachother :-)

Don Juan said...

There's no let up for stretching and warming up the vulnerable parts.

From memory, a few times you've had an injury, it happened after a big run or speed work. A more structured program might help you handle the speed work with less after-effects - but that might make come across to the dark side: running as your main gig ;-).

Don Juan said...

I need a structured program in writing english but that's another matter.

Horrie said...

Keep up the stretching 2p. I want to see you on the start line at SMH Half.