Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Touching Wood

Today Total: 8k
Week Total: 8k
Month Total: 234k
Year Total: 527k

Following Nurse Clairie and Coach Kit's advice - yesterday was choc-a-block full of ice, massage, stretching and Voltaren followed by a short sharp run this morning (sorry Wobbly I made a radical change to the BRIICE procedure and left out the Beer - all sympathy E-mails are welcome though).

2 x warm up k's in about 5.30 pace and then 4 x 500m faster efforts with 500m floats - the quicker efforts were:

2.07
2.05
2.05
2.05

Then 2k home with the last k bang on 5min pace for a total of 8k in 40.31 (av 5.04) - the middle 4k split would have been around 19.30 so I'm pretty happy with that.

I haven't done any speed work since before the Central Coast Half (4 Dec) and I didn't want to push it too hard. It was a fairly comfortable pace for the 500's and I'm starting to think post Six Foot I would like to do some short pure speedwork ie some 100's, 200's and 400's just to see....... It has been years since I have had enough confidence in the Gastroc Twins to contemplate attempting such folly.

As for the Ugly Step Sister - again I had that 'wooden' feeling on the outside of my knee for the first 700m or so and then it was fine - not sure what I'll do next - just taking the taper one day at a time.

Thanks for all the good advice and well wishes guys - they really have been much appreciated :-)

10 comments:

Lulu said...

Sounds like it is going OK if you can do some speed work and the Ugly Step Sister doesn't complain too much. I hope it continues to improve in the next few days.

Tesso said...

2P, sounds like there is a speed demon inside of you just waiting to bust out! There're great times for the 500s, you must be feeling pretty sharp right now.

Not long to go :-)

Don Juan said...

Good session. Looked very brave for an injury comeback.
Don't let those speed demons possess you before 6'.

Katie said...

Good work 2P! haha I don't remeber recommending speed work... just shorter and sharper- but as I have said team J is MAD! Interestingly though, the physio used to say to me when I was recovering from that nast ITB injury that it is easier to maintina good form over a shorter sharper run than the long slow stuff. she said the damage is done when your muscles fatigue and your form slips and hey presto a cranky ITB!

Now make sure you rest as well as run :-)

Stephen Lacey said...

The Inner Voice of Dissent: I'm sure you can get out there for one more long one within the next day or two. Go on, you know you need it...

Ha ha...only kidding. But i bet that voice is there yapping away in your ear. If it were me I'd probably give in. I have decided the taper is much over rated ;-) Though of course it does depend on injury and I alsways seem to have enough injuries to have to nurse that it creates an enforced taper anyway. Sounds liek you are in similar boat. You do what you have to do. Good luck. I think on the whole things are looking good.

CJ said...

Hang in there - hope the ITB behaves.

Actually what Kit says about faster running as opposed to slower stuff - its true, the ITB does like the faster stuff. The physio, sports doctor and the surgeon all told me the same thing.

Dave said...

Good to hear the step sister seems to be behaving and the gastroc twins are also being quite. Here's hoping the mother in law doesn't come visiting :D

Keep the extended taper going, time to focus on more important issues, what flavour ale will be the first consumed at Caves House!

TA and the Gnome said...

Hey 2P, I reckon that you ought to change your name to Long John Silver - he had a wooden leg too! :-)

It must be great getting into that taper. Enjoy it!

Gnome

Ewen said...

Just another sympathy email 2P.

Those 500s were good! Of course, bad ones are needed for 6 foot - about 3:20 per 500 (or, in my case 4:30).

Hilda said...

Nice recover, so fast! So good that you are already doing intevals, great!!
Go 2p go!!!