Sunday, February 26, 2006

So Far So Good

Today Total: 15k
Week Total: 35k
Month Total: 226k
Year Total: 519k

Well only 35k for the week but I am certainly not complaining - I'm thankful to still be running.

One good thing about Bathurst is the nights are cool enough to wear Skins to bed. When I woke I was pain free so started to think about a run. The Halfpenny had eisteddfod training commencing at 10am so I had no excuse not to have a go.

When I first started I became aware of the ITB on the outside of the knee - not pain just a kind of 'wooden' feeling but this passed within the first k - I had resolved that at any hint of pain I would stop and walk back. I had designed the run not to take me too far from base so I could bail out at any time.

I had thought probably 8k would do it but as my confidence grew I kept extending first to 10 then 12 and ultimately 15k - I could have kept going but why? Nothing to gain - so with Miners expression of "nothing stoopid" ringing in my ears I called it a day.

Run stats were pretty pleasing 15k @ 5.21av in 1.20.17.

The soleus on my right side was giving me a bit of gyp at various times and now that I have stopped I am a little tight on the upper end of the ITB near the hip but the knee is fine :-)

Time for more ice, stretching and massage - oh yeah and anti-inflammatories too :-)

12 comments:

Katie said...

Hey 2P!!! I am glad that it is on the improve. PLEASe look after the pesky thing. There is nothing to be gained now by the longer runs except making it cranky! I would back off any distance now and just do shorter sharper stuff...keep your legs rolling over and build your confidence. The LAST thing you need is a cranky ITB!!!!

I am sure you will look after it and stick by miners 'nothin stoopid' rule!

If you can get to the city Gary Howard Easy Tiger massage would give you a good work over.

Tesso said...

Oooh, that's better news. "Nothin stoopid" - I like it!

Isn't it a great feeling when you run much further than planned, or when you feel like doing more but can't or don't.

Wearing Skins to bed ... its a good look ;-)

Wobbly man said...

Don't forget the beer treatment - applied liberally and internally!

Lulu said...

Glad you managed more than you thought you would. Bathurst is relatively flat as well; unless you decide to run up Mount P of course! Mr lulu's sister lives up there too. Bathurst that is not Mount P.

CJ said...

Must be only a couple of weeks to go now? Take it easy and stretch, massage, etc, etc.

Don Juan said...

Good management and good news.
Well done on nuffin stoopid.
That is a good pace for 15km.

Clairie said...

okay so you went for a run today...but that's it. Take it easy now. R.I.C.E for a few days then have another go...then R.I.C.E. for a few days.

I am keen to read your 6ft race report 2P not a Dr. list of remedies or cures that you have to investigate should you not get to the start line. :)

ok, Nurse Claire has spoken so off you go...rest up.

Steve's Stuff said...

I've heard so much about skins but not really paying too much attention. Wearing them to bed......Should I look into this?

D said...

Can you post a photo of yourself just as you are getting ready to go to sleep (skins and all) so we can get an idea of how that looks. :)

Great run - fast! Great to hear that there was no pain.

Hilda said...

What a way to recover, certainly you just made the right things!

Gronk said...

Well done 2P. Keep that ugly step sister out of your life.

miners said...

Geez mate - that's better than what we feared at the end of last week! Great to see you've recovered well enough S.

(I've promised myself this for months, but I must get me some skins this season)