Thursday, February 16, 2006

NTBF - My Floatie Sank

Today Total: 12k
Week Total: 40k
Month Total: 146k
Year Total: 439k

NTBF stands for Nice Try But Fail - after my 2k warm up the plan was to do the next 10k as a kind of 1k interval session. 1k at sub 5 min pace and the 1k floats at around 5.30 to 5.40 pace.

All went swimmingly for the first 4k with the interval 1 @ 4.44 (some downhill) and interval 2 @ 4.55 (flat). Float 1 @ 5.35 and float 2 @ 5.28. I was feeling pretty chuffed so far but about. 100m into the 3rd interval I got gripping toilet pains and was forced to back off.

I abandoned the interval concept but still wanted the 12k so continued on over the next 6k as best I could. Unfortunately a couple of times I had to stop completely and I also had a couple of longish walk breaks to finally get home in just over 70mins.

These things happen and you just hope they never do on race day - good thing about 6 Foot is there are plenty of toilets ;-)

6 comments:

Tesso said...

So, was it something you ate? Are you still in Canberra? You haven't been drinking the water from the lake have you ;-)

Sounds like a good way to do 1k reps, doing the float rather than a standing recovery. Helps notch up a few more kms too.

Katie said...

At least you made it home in time... I hope :-) I hate when that happens... especially with all the locked loos lately.

miners said...

damn - I was hoping you were referring to pool swimming for a second there. Thought I had another tri-convert on the books :(

Cirque said...

2P - I know it's confusing but the floaties are for the swim leg. The training wheels are for the bike leg and (if you're like me) the knee pads are for the run leg.

Good luck!

Hilda said...

I image you travel there because of work, but what a great chance to enjoy those roads.
So you just run hills and no flat... well it must be for that 6 foot track, only hills! so tough!!

CJ said...

Know the feeling well - not nice!