Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Lakeside Canberra

Today Total: 20k
Week Total: 28k
Month Total: 134k
Year Total: 427k

I'm staying at Rydges Capital Hill so it is kind of obligatory for me to run alonside the lake when I'm here. I briefly considered a lap, but from Rydges it would be about 24k which is a bit more than I wanted to do or had time for.

Out into the cool Canberra morning air and I was really glad I packed a t-shirt to run in - being a wimpy Sydney-sider an all :-). Mind you the complete absence of humidity and low pollution was rather nice. I can live without all the goose poop though!

I don't know if it was sleeping in air conditioning or what, but I really laboured with my breathing for the first 3k as I couldn't seem to get any air in or to get my pace below 6min per k.

Just when I was thinking about pulling the pin the gunk finally cleared and I was able to get into a rhythm and run out to 10k along the Southern shore, turning around in about 58mins.

It has been ages since I last did a long run on the flat - Coastal Classic aside the last time would have been December 05 so I was interested to see how I would go. A little effort meant for a nice negative split for the return journey getting back to the hotel in 1.53.51 (av 5.41) which is around 4 hour marathon pace.

Popular folk lore maintains that a 4 hour marathon equates to around 6 hours -  based on today I think I'm probably in around 3.50 shape or better so hmmmm.

A nice solid run off the back of Sundays hard run - happy with it :-)

11 comments:

Tesso said...

One good thing about Canberra is there are some great pathways to run without worrying about traffic etc. If you discover anything else good about the place make sure you blog it ;-)

Katie said...

Great run 2p! That flat run would have felt blissful with all your hill training! Good for the confidence too!

miners said...

Really valuable to get the flatland comparison just to see exactly how you're sitting 2P. Great run regardless btw.

So with the 3:50 marathon potential, just what are you hoping for now on the big day?

CJ said...

The other good thing about Canberra is th epeople - especially the running community! we are a lovely bunch of people, really, truly....!

Hope you enjoyed your Canberra run. So how many weeks to go now?

Unknown said...

Now 2P, if you'd been in Canberra on Wednesday, I'd have roared past you on Ewen's bike!! I love running in Canberra...must be the reason I go back each year.

Spud said...

Flat running is overrated mate. ;-)
Looking very good for sub 6 at 6FT!

Don Juan said...

That's a good back up after sunday. The big kms this week will pay off.

In the cooler climates, I like to run in my pajamas.

D said...

Your marathon is just around the corner. Judging by the photos I found on your blog, all I can say is OUCH. You should post some Kung Fu photos on your site.

R2B said...

Wish i was doing six foot this year! You make me jealous...but all the same i wish you a fantastic run!
Cheers R2B

Spark Driver said...

Waterside runs I find are always enjoyable. The different scenery must be great.

Lulu said...

I like running around the lake in Canberra; it's very nice to be on the flat! All that training is definitely paying off.