Saturday, February 25, 2006

Update

DGC - Voltaren is an anti-inflammatory.

Time to fess-up..... the Ugly Step Sister is none other than an ITB injury and like most unwanted relatives it turned up out-of-the-blue!

I said in my last post it is not serious and it's not, but I'm also not prepared to take any chances given I have seen what the nasty little blighter has done to some others.

Having trained in one thing or another for the last 32 years this is the first time that the Ugly Step Sister has come a calling (frankly I don't care for her much - the Evil Gastroc Twins however are delighted because it means they get a break) - so how did it happen?

Turns out all the hill running I have been doing lately caused my adductors and soleus to become excessively tight which in turn caused my legs to bow a bit which in its turn caused the ITB to rub across the end of my femur - or so the story goes. Which is good news because if I can get biomechanically back to normal and heal up the bit of damage already done all should be sweet.

I first noticed it Sunday week ago towards the end of my 26k trail run through Munmorah - to be honest I just ignored it - when you run hilly trails something always hurts!

I then ran Monday, Tuesday and Thursday with no problem, then Friday at about the 5k mark (first downhill) of a 15k run it really, really started to hurt. It was a little sore afterwards and I suspected ITB due to the location and did the ice/anti-inflammatory thing.

Headed up the mountains on the following Sunday for my graduation parade 30k on THE Track and never even had a murmer out of it (happy). I was sore all over on the following Monday and Tuesday so there was no real telling the state of the ITB and I assumed it was ancient history.

Wednesday came and I headed out on a 20k - I got niggles pretty much from the start but just ignored them but by about 14k I started to get concerned and by 18k not just the ITB but my whole quad felt aweful and when I stopped it didn't get any better.

Thursday and I was having a tad of difficulty with all things step related - time for action. A trip to Saint Andrew (my fixer upperer of all things bad) confirmed my self-diagnosis and he released quite a bit of the muscle tension which pretty much had an instant effect.

So since then it has been, ice, stretching, massage and anti-inflammatories and today I am pain free. I will wait till tomorrow to run though, probably short and flat - so much for my planned short hilly trail run - oh well.

On the up-side I've been doing some retail therapy and I purchased a Massage Stick - man those things are fantastic! I also walked into a sport store in Bathurst today and saw some Nathan Quickdraws (handheld water bottles) - I've never seen these in a sport store in Australia before so I quickly snaffled two - now I just ned my Garmin 305 to turn up and I will be in gadget heaven :-)

12 comments:

Wobbly man said...

I hope it is on the mend mate - with your current form I seriously doubt one long run off will have any adverse effects - it may help
freshen the legs up a bit too.

Dr Wobbly (now with Dr Go Girl's enhancement) prescribe the BRIICE injury treatment plan:
Beer, Rest, Ice, Ibuprofen, Compression and E-mail your friends (for sympathy). The bill is in the mail..

Lulu said...

Glad to hear the step sister has made a brief appearance only. I'm sure a few days off will only be a good thing at this stage after all the work you've done.

Cirque said...

I'm sure you've caught the nasty thing in time 2P. Keep looking after yourself.

Superflake said...

2P much better than the stress sister of the tibia that I have. I wish I could ice my bone. Don't think that works somehow. Hope the step sister gets back into line soon.

Don Juan said...

Much suspense with the diagnosis, and I almost fell off the chair with I saw those three letters. Good you're sorting it out now and not race eve.

In answer to your question, I ran six foot in 2004 in 4.53. So not a virgin.

Tesso said...

I sure hope you've got the bugger in time, though sounds like you have.

Well, you've done the kms and you've put in enough hill training for ten people so doing flat runs between now and then isn't going to set you back.

Now pleeeeeeaaaaase take it easy.

Horrie said...

That's not what I was expecting to read when I checked into see what's happening 2p. This will ensure you enjoy a much needed taper. You have done enough work and are in great shape. Just hope that ugly step sister behaves herself on March 11.

CJ said...

Take care of that ITB prob - mine refused to leave me post-IM and I ended up having an ITB release which meant no running for 6 weeks (mind you, I hadn't been running for about 6 months at that point because of it) and then it was a graduated return. A very stubborn Ugly Step Sister!

TA and the Gnome said...

You were looking forward to the taper, weren't you. :-) Take it easy 2P.

Gnome

R2B said...

youve heard the good oil from others so enjoy your rest

Hilda said...

Fantastic you have many remedies and the right people in hand. You sound much more recovered, just don't let the mental stress to overcome you and certainly with all the strenght you have build up, you'll be ready on time.

All your writings are so inspiring, it is great to be able to read and understand all the things that happen to an athlete like you.
You made my run from yesterday, thanks 2p!!!!
Hope you are enjoying that gadget heaven!!!

Spark Driver said...

Man thats sounds painful. I really hope it doesn't affect you for the 6 Foot.