Thursday, February 09, 2006

Confidence Booster

Today Total: 12k
Week Total: 36k
Month Total: 68k
Year Total: 361k

The trouble with running lots and lots of hills and deliberately putting fatigue into your legs before running is it can be depressing as you see your average running times deteriorate to something you can measure with a sun dial and a calendar.

I had a rare experience after Tuesdays run - I was really grumpy all day, so I determined my next run would be something quicker. I arose with the alarm yesterday and judged that though I could run, it wouldn't have done my disposition much good so I rescheduled for today. I had a laugh when I read on DJ's blog that if he waited to run on fresh legs he would only run twice per week - too true DJ.

I took off on the same loop as for Monday and Tuesday. The first 2k I took out as a warm-up as my calves and hammies were still a bit tight at 6.05 and 6.08 respectively and then put the hammer down a bit going through the 3rd k in 4.56 (too fast). I then got into a sustainable rhythm and got into the zone. I kind of ran it as a quasi fartlek attacking each little hill upping the heart rate considerably.

It was perfect running conditions this morning so no excuses. The pre-sunrise light coming across the comatose bay was stunning with not even the hint of a breeze to disturb the mirror finish and my mood was up. The running gods doth smile upon me :-)

I suspected the 10th k was going to hurt a bit - for those that know it it's the long uphill drag on the Western side of Concord Golf Course - I went a bit lactic just after the crest but had managed a 5.23 split which really had my blood up and so I pushed it home going through 11k in 5.01 and the final k in 4.23!

All up (warm-up included) I came home in 64.21 (av 5.22) which is my fastest 12k training run since I recommenced running in Jan '05 - take out the warm-up and that is a 52.08 10k which would have been my racing pace last year. So it is pleasing to get confirmation that I am not going backwards like I was beginning to suspect at all.

Thank goodness for that ;-)

11 comments:

Gronk said...

Great to see that you had a good session 2P.

Spud said...

There's gotta be some benefit in speed from all those hills 2P;-)..
else I'm packing up and going home...

Nice run mate!

Clairie said...

Dammit. I was hoping you were on your way to being a slow bastard so i could run with you :)

Seriously, well done on the 12km times - hills and all!!!

Tesso said...

Yay 2P! Well done.

It really is Team J's week :-)

Lulu said...

That's great 2P. Don't believe anything that DJ person says. I saw him today and he looked pretty fit and speedy to me.

Glad you had a good run and that will put you in a good mood for a couple of days at least!

Katie said...

Great run 2P!!! Just have faith... you are doing pretty specific training! Once you taper you will FLY!!! To finish on a 4:23/km... pretty impresive ;-) Not too shabby!

Bennyr said...

Good stuff, 2P. Sound like a good, hard session.

Cheers,
Ben

Unknown said...

So pleased your mood has changed for the better, 2P! Horrible being grumpy, but there you go - you got over it & had a very successful session.

Yes, the bike ride got rid of my "grumps" yesterday! How flash is that bike & its 2 riders!!

Don Juan said...

Well done on a good confidence booster.

I'm not giving up my day job to be a comedian yet, but I'll be your straight man anytime.

Cirque said...

Gee 2P - if you were feeling grumpy it must be time for drastic action.
Glad to hear you're back to your usual sunny self :)

Ewen said...

Great run 2P. I think when you're training for something like 6ft there's always going to be some tiredness in the legs. Well done for being able to just switch on to 'fast mode' for a change.