Monday, February 06, 2006

Runnin Neked

Today Total: 12k
Week Total: 12k
Month Total: 44k
Year Total: 337k

I pulled up very sore in the calves after Saturdays run which surprised me a bit as they've been pretty good lately and last week was a very easy running week - but looking at the Google Earth map today I guess I'm not so surprised after all. The Garmin reception is very poor through the slot down to Nellies Glen but it gets enough to tell the story.



When I switched on the Garmin this morning it had zero hours battery charge left - it must of somehow turned itself on in my training bag over the weekend - either that or it is going out for secret runs on its own - wouldn't surprise me, it probably would enjoy a quick run occasionally.

So rather than go back inside and swap it for the garden variety I just dropped it down into a potplant and headed out on a 12k loop around Canada Bay and Concord Golf Course I'd prepared earlier. I can't remember the last time I ran watchless and I can't say I'm a fan, I'm way too retentive for that. I did however amuse myself for a few seconds by fumbling for the pause button when I got held up at a set of traffic lights on one occasion ;-)

The Gastroc Twins whinged incessantly at me for the first 2k, but once they realised it wasn't getting them anywhere they eventually shut up and left me in peace for the rest of the run. Turned out to be a pretty solid effort and I was happy with it after some of the ugly runs I did last week.

In the absence of any evidence to the contrary I'm tempted to call it a PB :-) Unfortunately the retentiveness has kicked in though and I will write 70mins in the diary.... ho hum.

8 comments:

Tesso said...

Ha ha, I know the feeling, looking for the pause button. I ran watchless a couple of weeks ago and must've looked at my bare wrist at least every 5 minutes.

Stephen Lacey said...

But what was the pace, what was the pace? ;-)

ARs of the world unite!

Nice run on Saturday too 2P. Hey, even if something horrible happened and you couldn't start at 6FT, at least it has got you out there for some great scenic runs in the bush that most of us would love to do but are too unorganized to get around to. I think it is time I lost my trail running cherry in the near future.

Stephen Lacey said...

P.S. I really appreciate your support over the last couple of weeks that culminated in an over-achieving run at Kanagawa yesterday. Your words actually made a difference, if for no other reason than they got me into a more positive frame of mind. Not to mention that some of those faster sessions must have done some good! Not that I will be throwing away the heart rate monitor just yet!

Katie said...

Haha I love my garmin as well... add me to the AR list as well! Must be a team J thing... look how we all reacted when they tried to rename us ;-) Another good solid run!

CJ said...

Join the club!

I'm not surprised you are feeling it in the calves judging by the map - pretty impressive running.

Yesterday, on my long run following the cow encounter I was thinking of the Six Foot Track run - next year!

Spark Driver said...

Call it a PB...who is going to know??

Unknown said...

Me too, 2P...feel quite naked without my watch! Look after your calves..6ft not long away now & I'll be thinking of you on the day....will even send a magic spell to carry you further & faster!

Glad you like the pics; I have one more to cature i.e. the cattle stampede that starts when I pass one of the properties!

miners said...

You put WHAT in the pot plant?

unfortunately it looks like Nat and I will be garmin-less for at least another week or two as well :(