Friday, February 10, 2006

Steady As She Goes

Today Total: 12k
Week Total: 48k
Month Total: 80k
Year Total: 373

Completely lacking imagination I headed out on the same 12k loop I've done 3 times before during this week.

Yesterdays faster effort left my legs feeling less tight than they have been but there was a definite undercurrent of lethargy in the system as I dithered around getting ready and as I dithered around getting ready and as I dithered around getting ready.......

Eventually I got out the door and got through my first 2 warm-up k's in around 6min pace. From there I just wanted to do the next 10k at 4hr  marathon pace (5.40) which I thought would be a nice steady pace - and it was too :-)

Somewhere in the first 6k (relatively flat) it occured to me that if I put in some surges on the hilly bits over the last 6k I could get the whole 12k average down to 5.40 and get a bit of a training effect too.

I missed it by 13s coming home in 68.13 for an average of 5.41 but I am happy with it as I really didn't have high hopes for today given I felt pretty frumpy to start with.

Training tonight, rest tomorrow, happy trails Sunday - that's the plan :-)

12 comments:

Tesso said...

I don't like this, you are threatening my record of the longest time to get ready and out the door for a training run. It currently stands at 50 minutes. And that doesn't include eating. Hmmm, maybe its a Team J thing.

So what sort of stuff do you do at training in the evening?

miners said...

You'll be dreaming of that 12km loop in your sleep soon.

How are the brick sessions coming along?

Katie said...

Definately a Team J thing!!! I have been known to get up out of bed, get my running gear on and then go back to bed.... thats not dithering, pretty decisive action! At least you know the way on your 12km :-)

D said...

It sounds like your training is going well 2P!

Bennyr said...

I love those "well if I can just push it a bit harder over the last few K i can get the average under X:XX" thoughts.

2P, we are ruled by our Garmins!

Cheers,
Ben

CJ said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that dithers in the morning!

As for my morning runs - its a case of "shall I go left on the cycle path or right today!" I love weekends when I can get out off-road.

Ellie80 said...

Hi 2pm, just checking in to say hi! Its all a bit like a foreign language to me for now but i'll pick it up soon. Thanks for welcoming me to blog-world :)

Stephen Lacey said...

So it is all getting a bit monotonous and repetitive? Excellent! Keep up the good work. It mightn't make for exciting blog entries, but it makes for a lean mean racing machine.

TA and the Gnome said...

2P, it looks like I'm not the only one having a good week :-) Long may they continue!

sfG

Spark Driver said...

No problem with the regular 12km loops. Less chance of getting lost that way.

Don Juan said...

It's easier to get going if you don't have think about the course.
Frumpy is all in the mind. You'd be a fashion king at some coolrunning events.

Wobbly man said...

At least you got out there, pulled up well and felt good about your time. You gotta be happy with that!