Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Long Recovery

Today Total: 20k
Week Total: 20k
Month Total: 211k
Year Total: 504k

Edit: Forgot to say I saw the brightest shooting star this morning I have ever seen in the Western sky - like something out of a movie - made heading off at 5.30am almost worthwhile :-)

I'll be honest - Sunday's run knocked me about a bit but I guess that's what peaking is all about and why we taper. I was actually surprised by how good I felt Sunday afternoon and evening. But come Monday morning I felt like a worn out pull through and by Monday afternoon the classic DOMS had set in and I was quite sore. Repeat for Tuesday.

Determined to get out on the road this morning I thought to celebrate the commencement of my taper with a nice cruisy 20k. This is all part of my cunning plan to put my longer runs mid-week and do shorter sharper hilly bush runs on the next 2 weekends.

I went out at a very conservative pace  onto the Cooks River Cycleway again plodding out to the 10k turnaround at Sando Reserve Croydon Park in 60.09. Picked the pace up a bit on the way back and got home in a more respectable 56.03 for a total of 1.56.12 (av 5.49).

A nice easy run with oodles of gas left in the tank at the end demonstrated by a 4.50 last k.

14 comments:

Gronk said...

Nice run 2P.

Regarding the DOMS: There has been a bit of chatter on CR lately about magnesium and its use to avoid muscle craming and aiding recovery. I'm thinking of trying it as I build up my base. Wondering if you have looked into it ?

Hilda said...

Hope after this recovery run you feel better.
Just tappering on time.

Clairie said...

A 20km recovery run....very nice!

All Tess could talk about this morning was PMC run and how she may just have to tag onto you to finish!!!

Tesso said...

Hey 2P, hope you made wish on that shooting star :-)

Stephen Lacey said...

Nice job. And I thought 10k was too long for a recovery run! I neglected to say that was a greta run on Sunday. You old deviator, you.

miners said...

great recovery mate - just hope it hasn't had any impact on the knee situation :(

Don Juan said...

Good strong recovery.
Looks like a cruising 6' track could be part of the taper too.

I just renewed my drivers licence today, and the RTA eye-sight test has got nothing on the blogger word verification, which I fail numerous times on each comment.

Katie said...

Nice work 2P!!! I did not see a shooting star... but found a lake ;-) I hope you made a wish!!

Haha I have the same problem as DJ... takes me 2 goes each time to get that word thingy right... can't blame my eyes though.

R2B said...

Hehe DJ me too!
2P loved the height profile for 6'
wish i gave myself enough time to be able to attempt it this year..oh well next one!
I will check in to hear of your taper and race report.
Ps and running isn't your main gig lol!

Jen said...

Nice work 2P :-)

Bennyr said...

20K recovery run.

Now I'm convinced. Ultra runners come from a different planet.

Good work, 2P!
Cheers,
Ben

CJ said...

Glad you added 'almost' to that sentence about starting at 5.30am!

Am looking forward to the actual event - your training has defintely sparked my interest and I think I will be lining up for 2007!

Spark Driver said...

Wow 20km recovery. Good on yah.

Bernie G said...

20K recovery run is good. I like your taper plan.