Sunday, February 12, 2006

Happy Trails Indeed

Today Total: 26k
Week Total: 74k
Month Total: 106k
Year Total: 399k

Last time I did this run 3 weeks ago I went 3.11 and felt shattered at the end. The run is a very hilly trail run around Crangan Bay, Catherine Hill Bay and Munmorah State Rec Park home of a stretch of road I have dubbed the Roller Coaster.

Right from the start today I knew I was in for a good one I just felt really comfy barely noticing the extra 3kg or so of the Camelbak. Interestingly I didn't eat anything this morning before running - just a cup of Joe. I wondered if that and the relatively quick start would come back to haunt me later?

I had 2 goals in mind today - the first was to go under 3 hours which I thought was an outside chance and the second was to finish strongly - this is a necessity for Six Foot - to still make a good pace after putting in on hills.

I motored over the early hills today (for me) and I had to resist the urge to push harder (still a long way to go) - for the first time I think my legs were set to out perform my cardio vascular system - on long steep hills (ie > 700m long) my legs usually protest way before I hit my lactic threshold but today they seemed to be saying to my lungs "hey you wimps get a wriggle on"!

Up along the coast towards Catherine Hill Bay the wind was howling (there is a gale warning for later today) but the view over the water was worth the slog into the strong Nor-Easter.

The drag up the hill from Catherine Hill Bay to the Pacific Highway was the only time my legs got grumpy but considering this is 17k into the run with the worst of the hills behind me I'm not complaining.

I made the customary stop at the Big Prawn to inhale a muesli bar and take on board some more water and then headed off through the last dip back towards Gwandalan.

The last 2k's are downhill, then relatively flat respectively and I decided to see how well I could bring it home - running the very sandy dowhill k in 5.34 I set off on the last flattish (some little ups and downs) k right into the teeth of the wind and though it caused my heart rate and breathing to escalate significantly I managed a 5.30.

Finished in 2.51 which is a full 20mins faster than last time :-) I'm pretty confident of breaking 6 hours for Six Foot now - just one more week of build up to go!

12 comments:

Cirque said...

That's fantastic 2P. Looks like all your hard work is paying off.

Wobbly man said...

Great run 2P. Sounds like you are in great shape for a 6 foot PB. Well done!

Tesso said...

Excellent, well and truly under the 3hr mark. Man those hill sound so tough!

Pardon my ignorance but what is 'Joe'???

Katie said...

Go 2p, Go 2p, Go 2p!!! Warming up for your cheer as you cross that line sub 6hrs!!! What a great run! 20mins off is an awesome effort!

Gronk said...

Gee, a huge effort 2P. Well done !

Clairie said...

Sounds like the training is all starting to pay off. Next we'll be reading your race reports for 6 ft will you saying "where were the hills...??"

TA and the Gnome said...

Fantastic run! That taper is starting to look inviting, isn't it :-)

sfG

Don Juan said...

Good strong run, especially carrying all that extra weight, in the camelbak.

Steve's Stuff said...

Hmmm no breaky......Maybe that's what you'll have to do for all your long runs now. Good luck for 6 Foot....

Horrie said...

You are training the house down 2p. 20 minutes quicker is some sort of effort. You will go sub 6 at 6 Foot, no worries! Now just to get that last big week in before tapering and feeling fresh for the big day. It's getting exciting, isn't it?

miners said...

Fantastic effort 2P - particularly with the sub-3hour time. Makes for great confidence close to the big day :)

Stephen Lacey said...

Great job! It is nice to see those tangible results. I am an advocate of doing long runs with no brekky, Especially in the six weeks before the taper. What you actually do on race day is another question to which do not have a clear answer, even though I've tried both approaches.