Saturday, February 04, 2006

Woah Nellie

Today Total: 16k
Week Total: 36k
Month Total: 32k
Year Total: 325k

As Yosemite Sam used to say "when I says woah, I means woah".

This morning I ran the first part of the Six Foot Track from Explorers Tree down through Nellies Glen to Megalong Valley Road and return on my way to Bathurst to visit the Halfpenny.

I'm super glad that I did it because it has hardened my resolve to take the stairs easy on race day. Today the plan was to take them as quickly as I safely could. - which wasn't very fast at all given it was very gloomy in the half light of 6:00am, not to mention the fog and drizzle - and see how much it took out of my quads.

By the time I hit the fire trail 20mins later I was Mr Jelly Legs which emphasises the need to train the down muscles.

From there I ran very conservatively to give the legs a chance to recover down to the Megalong Valley Road for an outbound split of 56.40. The left of the Gastroc Twins was whinging so I had a bit of a breather for a stretch and a massage.

The plan now for race day will be the opposite of the above - take the stairs easy and hit the fire trail a bit harder.

I figured since I'd stopped I might as well have a mooch around the bush cemetry I only managed to find one headstone that of the McLaughlin family - the first of whom departed this world in 1912 and the most recent apparently in 2004.

After paying my respects I tightened the straps on the camelbak and headed back up the hill resolving that I would run as much as I could.

Well I made it running to the base of the stairs which I was pretty pleased with. But the stairs are such big brutes I found them impossible to run up. Just walking them had me sucking in huge drafts of air and slurping on the camel bak like a kid with a thickshake.

I think Horrie put the count at around 480 and by the time I cleared the last one I was so relieved to get back onto merely a steep fire trail I celebrated by breaking into a shuffle run back to the car for a total running time of 2.15.14.

A very, very enjoyable way to start the weekend.

4 comments:

miners said...

mate - looks you'll have to dust off the old stair master under the spare bed for the next few weeks :)

Seriously good effort out there

Don Juan said...

In the race you'll probably be held up on the stairs by those in front (such as me) anyway.
Good idea to take them easy and go with the flow.

Tesso said...

Yikes - 480 stairs!!! Don't suppose there's a lift ;-)

Katie said...

If nothing else you have done your homework.. well done!! Another big weekend of running :-)