Sunday, February 19, 2006

Happiness Is:

Today Total: 30k
Week Total: 85k
Month Total: 191k
Year Total: 484k

Edit: Have included 6 Foot Course Profile

Knocking Blacks Range on the head!

After (during?) a muggy night in tinsel town I headed off at 4.20am.

Destination: Blacks Range Camping Ground
Mission: Conquer my rangeophobia
Execution: Run from the Deviation to Mini Mini return (30k with a bit of uphill)
KPI: No stopping or walking on Blacks Range on the return journey and complete the final 9k in sub 7min 50 pace (required for sub 6 hour race plan)


The profile shows why it is a tad difficult to maintain pace heading up Blacks Range.

After walking back down the Deviation for a couple of hundred meters (to make the run up to 30k total) I was on the track and running by 6.45am ladened down with over 5kg's of gear - by far the most I have ever run with. With predictions of hot weather I wasn't taking any chances - 3L of water, 750mls of Gatorade, some Gu, a muesli bar, first aid kit and mobile phone I was ready for anything.

The first bit had me huffing and puffing as it is actually uphill - not for long though - and it was down, down and more down - yikes -  I have to come back up all this - oh well it's what you're here for! I've never seen this part of the track look greener - the bit from the locked gate to Allum Creek was paradise.

After passing Allum Ck Camping Ground I surprised myself a bit by nearly running all the way to the top of Mini Mini and made it to the Eastern edge in 1.40.48 (6.43av).

Just as I arrived a group of about 7 arrived from the other direction and we had a good old natter. Some of them were just carrying one 600ml water bottle (almost empty) - I can't help thinking this is a bit dumb - I know they were only 4.5k from the Cox's but what if they so much as turned an ankle on the way back? Anyhoo they were very grateful when I offered to donate them some of my excess.

Heading back I gunned it back down the saddle and through the valley splashing through the water crossings like a 5 year old and then changed into low gear for the haul up to Pluvio. Again I surprised myself with how much I ran - I did walk a bit, but I reckon I ran more - all the time with a bit of a nagging doubt that I was going to pay for it later - arriving bang on 57 mins after leaving the Eastern side of Mini Mini (av 9mins 15).

I paused at Pluvio just long enough to reset the Garmin i.e. 3 seconds and headed up Blacks Range. At first I thought it was going to get the better of me but slowly but surely my legs were recovering and my pace improved and I felt stronger and stronger eventually finishing the last 9k without stopping or walking in 66mins 42 (av 7mins 25). I can't begin to explain the relief that flooded over me :-) Hopefully the monkey is off my back.

All up I completed the 30k in 3.44.30 (av 7.29) in quite warm conditions (it was 30 degrees when I got back to the car) - if I can average somewhere around that on the 11th for the full 45k I will be a very happy 2P indeed :-)

Now about that promised taper.........

16 comments:

Jen said...

Happiness is reading about how well your training has gone.

Nice work 2P :-)

Tesso said...

Yay 2P - I'm happy you're happy :-)

Its great to see everything coming together so nicely. Taper time so now all you have to do is keep healthy and stay in one piece.

This is getting exciting!!!

Lulu said...

Yay, sounds like the monkey is well and truly off your back.. good thing it wasn't snowflake ;)

Katie said...

That is fantastic 2P!!! That monkey sounds dead and buried!! Now you can taper feeling full of confidence! Now you can ralx... the hard bit is over... sort of :-)

Steve's Stuff said...

Great elevation chart. I'm curious as to why you needed to reset Mr. Garmin.

Don Juan said...

Good run. You'll be floating next time without all the gear.

You could step up on race day to lead 2P's pace team.

Wobbly man said...

Great run 2P! And a big thank you for the tip with the B complex pills!

TA and the Gnome said...

Brilliant, 2P!!

Gnome

Gronk said...

Yikes ! That profile ! Very well done 2P. No wonder your chuffed. Try and enjoy your taper.

miners said...

lol - how on earth are you supposed to "maintain" a constant pace on that sort of terrain??? I'm going to need your expert coaching if I'm going to have a go at this next year mate.

Fantastic pace for your 30km - really great to not only get through the last long run, but to be able to do it at a great pace that gives you the confidence before the big day :)

CJ said...

Good run 2P - should be very happy with that. It is a good feeling to have a good workout not too far out from thw actual event - boosts the confidence no end. What is it - 3 weeks to go?

Spark Driver said...

I was displaying a bit of interest in the Six Foot until I seen that profile. Does it have to have so many hills?? :-)

Spark Driver said...

p.s. Could I ask how do you do the "Next big thing" part on your blog?

Hilda said...

Hope you enjoy the taper, you deserve it, the race is now so close!

Spud said...

2P, well you've seen quite a bit of the Track lately, that and the amount of Quarry Rd hills you have under your belt should see you have a great 6FT. I too recall it was a year ago we met at Quarry Rd, a lot of miles ran since then, enjoy the taper mate.

Bernie G said...

Great effort, you must feel confident. Enjoy the taper. I'll see you at the finish :-).