Sunday, September 02, 2007

Hello Old Friend

Today Total: 6k
Week Total: 19k
Month Total: 6k
Year Total: 782k

Edit: OK photos are up below.....

On the way back from Bathurst today I decided to pay a visit to an old friend - The Grand Canyon Loop out from Blackheath.

I haven't run this loop for a couple of years but it is without doubt my favourite short trail run in the entire universe.

This trail has it all: extremely technical in parts; a tunnel; wet and dark grotto's; steep descents and ascents; you pass behind a waterfall; crouch through lots of overhangs; and the scenery is spectacular - I even had a close encounter with a Lyre bird.

I always run it anti-clockwise so you get the spendiferous views out from Evans Lookout over the Grose Valley as a reward towards the end.

Before you ask - yes Tesso I have photos and I will post them later when I get home (done now).

I'm not really fit enough for this kind of lark but what the heck - I just took it easy and made it around in 65.55 - in the past I have generally gone sub 60 so there is still a ways to go to get my fitness back.

The sign says 5k - Garmy puts it at 5.7k but given the overhangs that would be short so I'm calling it 6k.

I had a blast out there and was very much in my happy place - man I luuuuuurve the trails :-)

This is the tunnel.... spooky huh?



This next one is one of the many overhangs you have to run under

And finally - the prize - the view over Evans Lookout into the Grose Valley - does it get any better?


10 comments:

Tesso said...

You know me too well :-)

But you see, your pics make up for my lack of trail running. I get to see what I'm missing without the danger of falling over, or twisting an ankle, or getting bitten by a snake, or being attacked by a tick, or finding a blood sucking leach in my sock, or or or ....

Spark Driver said...

Sounds like a fascinating place to go for a run. I am looking forward to seeing some pics too.

Gronk said...

Amazing views mate. Keep chipping away at it.

Horrie said...

Certainly looks like a great part of the world to be running in. Good to see you enjoying yourself.

Simlin said...

Envious 2P. Envious.

Tesso said...

Thanks for the pics. I really do enjoy seeing the sights of the great outdoors ... from the comfort and safety of my unit :-)

Stephen Lacey said...

Not bad, I suppose
;-)

Lulu said...

I've walked along there and it's a beautiful spot. Good to see you rediscovering your fav trails.

Ewen said...

I'll put that one on my 'must do' list, although not the best for us tall streaks - probably smash my noggin on that overhang!

trailblazer777 said...

scintillating sensational photos!...looks like an awesome trail run to enjoy and be challenged by...

always good to revisit those favourite run spots when the comeback trail seems a bit slow, hang in there and in a few weeks/months you can laugh at these tough moments. Hoping the same will be true for me to some extent.

Keep on enjoying the running you have! Some running is always better than no running.