Saturday, September 15, 2007

Miners Run

Today Total: 15k
Week Total: 41k
Month Total: 78k
Year Total: 854k

No I'm not in Port Macquarie.....

But my good mate Miners has come to visit the big smoke and we arranged to meet up so I could introduce him to my mistress "The Track". He'd already had a sneaky peak by traversing the stairs from the Tree to Nellies and back yesterday and today we were going to go from Megalong Valley Road to the Coxs River and return.

The weather was nothing short of sensational, 7 degrees at the start and absolutely crystal clear. It didn't take us long to warm up though as we hit the first of the hills and then the glorious technical downhill towards the river. We took a few mandatory breaks for photo op's and just kept to a nice gentle pace hitting the river in 51 mins. Plenty of water in the river too, came up to just under my nipples - which is about thigh height on Miners ;-)

A visit to the tank for refills and it was time to head back. I was interested to see how I'd go given the furthest I've run since May has been 8km on the flat. As expected Miners quickly left me behind on the ascent but being the good bloke he is (or he was afraid of getting lost) he patiently waited for me to catch up every so often.

Being his first trip to these parts we stopped so he could have a play on the swing bridge and just as I was about to pull up I looked down at my Garmin and went base over apex giving my butt and thigh a good grazing on the steep slope - gory details captured in the pic below. No major drama's though and we were soon on our way again.

Certainly not the fastest ascent I've ever done, but I was relatively pleased all things considered with a 1.10 for the return journey. I had to walk most of the ups and the leggies were definitely getting very tired by the time we got back to the car but all good.

It was really great to get back to some serious trail and share it with some good company - makes me want to get straight back out there. Thanks Miners.

I'll post some more photos on Monday but as I only have dial up at home it is just too slow to upload them now.

PS - I think Miners was quite taken with my mistress and wouldn't be surprised to see him lining up on the start line next March :-)

Now for the juicey bit:



12 comments:

Ewen said...

That's up there with CJ's footpath stack for juice.

Glad you gave him a gentle introduction - don't want to scare him off before March 8.

If the bit down to Coxs is the mistress, the bit up to Pluvi must be the wife ;)

Jen said...

Sterling effort that flow of claret 2p. Perfect 10s from this judge ;-)

Tesso said...

Gee, my shoelaces look so nice.

Cirque said...

Ouch - she's a demanding gal that one!

But she sounds very beautiful :)

Superflake said...

Beats mine for claret. Good to see you are toughening up Miners for an assault on the mistress in March perhaps?

running uphill said...

Have missed your trail reports. Nice war wound.

Lulu said...

Nice legs, even with the tomato sauce on them.

I s'pose your hip is even more niggly now. Hope you get lots of long runs in while I'm away.

Have fun!
L

trailblazer777 said...

some serious tomato sauce there.

plenty of time before march 8.
way to go!

miners said...

mate, you need to tell your photographer to pick up his game. shadow in the shot, didn't get the whole leg in the picture, pathetic work ...

Thanks again for coming all the way out for me mate. It was an absolute blast, and as you kenw, it was never too much of a secret that I've been wanting to get out on that track for a while now.

Glad you took the fall for me too :)

TA and the Gnome said...

That's what happens when you have a mistress... :-)

Gnome

Celeste said...

Looks painful - and this is fun???

Hamburglar said...

Yow!

The comeback is well on its way. The first fall of sixfoot 2008 prep. I think I had about 5 last year!