Saturday, September 22, 2007

Night Assault - Mt Panorama

Today Total: 13k
Week Total: 47k
Month Total: 125k
Year Total: 901k

I'm up in Bathurst to visit the Halfpenny. When I got here she informed me she had a party to go to tonight and as eisteddfod commitments are over there will be no early trip home tomorrow which means no mountains run.

So I took the opportunity to do a lap of The Mountain. I wasn't really prepared for a night run up here ie I just had shorts and a t-shirt but I did have the PT Apex so what the hey?

I parked up right outside the entrance to the gaol at about 7.40pm with the ambient temperature at 9 degrees (which was only going to drop). I headed off past the Bathurst Golf Course to the cemetery where I fanged a left and then headed up the roller coaster that is Boundary Road.

Another left and I was on my way down towards the race track proper. Turning right onto the track at the bottom of Pit Straight the Southerly breeze hit me and I started to wonder about the wisdom of this run.

I managed to run all the way up to the winery (where it gets really steep) and then elected to walk to the top. The one benefit of the steep bit was at least I was a bit protected from the wind.

Once on top it was bitterly cold and my fingers quickly went numb and my ears started to ache - I needed to move. I did stop briefly in the lee of one of the crash barrier revetments to say g'day to a couple of wallabies who couldn't give a toss that I was only 5m away. This small break also gave me the chance to take in the pretty city lights and then to look up and take in the best that mother nature had to offer in the crystal clear skies - I was deep in my happy place :-)

Getting moving again I started the descent which was quite a hoot and once I took the final left onto Conrod Straight I was out of the wind and conditions improved considerably.

The rest of the run was pretty uneventful and except that every little hill had my hammies squawking - the long drag up past the Department of Lands and the TAFE seemingly taking forever.

A final trot down past the prison and I was back to the car in 1.38.15 @ 7.33 average. Not real fast but very satisfying as I've always wanted to do this run - to do it at night was just the icing on the cake.

Happy 2P :-)

9 comments:

Stephen Lacey said...

So were you a Ford, a Holden, or a Mack truck?

trailblazer777 said...

awesome night assault experience by the sound of things! My wife is a holden woman and wants to go to Mt Panorama some time on her lifetime.

some positive runs in the last few weeks! Nust of felt special running the Mountain, even in cold temps. Way to go!

Gronk said...

I was playing with my son on his AFX slot car track -Bathurst version- yesterday. Spooky coincidence. ;-]

undercover brother said...

hey thats pretty cool!
the pt apex rocks doesnt it!!

Ewen said...

I remember going up through the cutting was 2nd gear in the 3-on-the-tree Kingswood, so 7:33s ain't bad.

Well done on nudging close to the 90kg barrier. I think your fitness is somwhere between Coxs and Allum Creek ;)

Hamburglar said...

What was your top speed down conrod?

Looks like the training is coming along nicely - keep it up.

TA and the Gnome said...

You only made it to the winery?? Geez, when *I* ran it I, umm, I guess I walked from about there too... :-)

Gnome

Unknown said...

lv"
acquire got their own emphasis in our lives, for arcade or anywhere away afterwards acclimatized a louis vuitton
with us. While traveling anywhere and the Louis vuitton bags
is the one which makes you admirable wherever you go. This is not abandoned due to the architectonics of the aberant louis vuitton handbags
.

Unknown said...

Fun Games to Learn Theory: Learning how to read music and the math that goes with JAG can be a very boring subject for a lot of people. But a lot of the piano JAG DVD software out there has incorporated this step into some pretty fun games. You probably won't even realize that you are learning when you start learning theory this way. Before you know JAG DVD COLLECTION , you'll know how much a quarter note is worth, how long to hold a whole note, and what that squiggly line really means.


There are more Tiffany uk in classical designs, such as the one consisting of pure and pretty white shells. While, Tiffany sets gets its personality just by a simple shape like number eight. After seeing the above perfect bracelets, let us look at some classical silver-made versions. Unlike the ones made from pearls or some beads, these silver sets show another kinds of exquisite elegance, standing for the classic convention of silver charms .