Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Mona Fartlek

Today Total: 10k
Week Total: 14k
Month Total: 10k
Year Total: 1494k

After Mondays run unearthed a few niggles I decided on a complete rest day yesterday - good decision because today I was niggle free.

Headed off on the usual out and back foreshore run but decided to throw a Mona Fartlek in for fun - I had forgotten just how quick this session seems to make the run go and how enjoyable it is - note to self must do more regularly.

*Garmy nerds only bit*

Trap for young players #32b - if you delete a step in an advanced program on the Garmin it re-numbers the steps but not the program instruction e.g. if you have an instruction to repeat steps 4 & 5 four times it doesn't alter this to account for the deleted steps i.e. step 4 is now step 3 and so it gets all discombooblerated.

*Nerdy bit ends*

For non-nerds suffice it to say I stuffed up the programming on my Garmin for the session and after some initial confusion resorted to doing things the old fashion way by having to actually look at my watch occasionally - talk about primitive - on the up-side I didn't salivate (obscure Pavlovian reference to audible cues). On the down-side I may have missed one of the 1 min efforts - I have trouble concentrating on running AND counting :-)

Gronk asked the question after Sundays run "can I consider myself back" or words to that effect - I think I am :-).

I am back - not from a definition based on pace or distance achieved - for me it is far more intrinsic than that - it's about doing a hard session (perceived effort despite the result) and feeling really great afterwards as opposed to the struggling, heart breaking, confidence sapping offerings you at first do during any comeback.

So anyone following this diatribe in a similar sitch - stick with it - as the saying goes it mightn't happen overnight........

All up 10k in 57.40 (5.46av) - Happy 2P :-)

14 comments:

Ewen said...

If DJ hasn't used it already, I'd say 'as the concrete is chipped away, the cream is coming to the top'.

12k for me tonight at 5:50 ave, so I'll join you in thinking I'm back :)

miners said...

what are steps? Do I just have the non-nerdy idiot proof Garmin?

Great to hear you've made it over *that* hump that all of us know all too well!

Superflake said...

I'd say you are back if you plan on running the 1st stage of six foot this weekend. I like the Mona Fartlek. Did one tonight.

blues buffett said...

Thanks for your comment on my Blog, 2P.

I think you, Mrs BB, and I are the only Australians to know the song
"Peanut Butter Conspiracy". I certainly had forgotten it. Well done.
Good to know you're "back"

TA and the Gnome said...

Well, I for one can't do a Mona without the subtle guidance of the Garmin. How the hell am I supposed to be able to remember to breathe and remember whether this is the 3rd 30sec or the 2nd 90 sec?? :-)

Gnome

Jen said...

Great work my friend. Glad to see we are both back. And yes, it's time to make those long runs llooooooonnnnggggg ;-)

Gronk said...

God to see your back mate.

I confess that I have no idea what a mona fartlek is and are thinking that I'm best not knowing. Sounds too complicated for my simple brain.

Gronk said...

Er, that should have read "good". I guess "god" already knows that your back.

Lulu said...

I'm with Gronk, it all sounds very complicated. I'll stick to having Sean shouting instructions rather than Garth I think.

Great to see you feeling so positive.

Spud said...

Ah yes a speed session to invigorate the soul, note to self, do one occasionally ;-)
Good to see things are coming together nicely for you Scott.

Clairie said...

Good to see you are listening to the body. Amazing what a rest day can do to the body and soul!!

Stephen Lacey said...

You are back when you are constantly thinking about and looking forward to your next run...as opposed to occasionally wondering when you will find the motivation to "go for a run some time".

I've knew you were back weeks ago.

Anonymous said...

lv handbag are a secret desire of every woman. They are ready to spend money to purchase an original piece of this company. Keep these tips in your mind and order your piece so that you do not purchase replica louis vuitton handbags. It is a symbol of pride and honor to carry a louis vuitton bag around in the town.

Unknown said...

Coach Legacy are what they can get. Coach Outlet understands the demand of fashionable handbags in the market especially with women who are leaving their households in order to also earn their own money. Now, Coach Luggage managed to come up with handbags that are not only appropriate for work but will also look good once the working woman brings Coach Poppy to a party afterwards



Because Chanel Wallet are an item that every one has to have, Chanel handbags are often in short supply in the stores. The latest replica Chanel handbags sell out the fastest, which means you can sometimes miss the chance to buy the perfect bag if you do not hurry. The best solution for this is to buy your favorite Chanel handbag online!