Thursday, November 09, 2006

Pleasant Surprise

Today Total: 5k
Week Total: 15k
Month Total: 53k
Year Total: 1536k

I headed out around the perimeter of Concord Golf Course with no other intention than to work out a bit more soreness and the niggle from yesterdays break and enter caper - somewhere around a 6.15 pace ought to do it given this is a fairly hilly course in comparison to my foreshore runs.

The first k is mainly uphill and when I split in 6.02 I knew I was on song for a better run than I've had for a while so picked the pace to sub 5.30 for the second k - the third k on this run is tough - it is all uphill and gradually gets steeper till you reach the top - through in 6.02 - magic - then another two sub 5.30k's to finish in bang on 28.30.

Throughout I could feel the knot in my left calf just pulling a bit and I knew I was pushing my luck but it held up so I felt vindicated ;-)

Notwithstanding that I ran 10k yesterday at a similar pace (it was on the flat) - I'd have to say today was the first time since the recommencement that I've felt like I was actually "running".

:-)

9 comments:

Ellie80 said...

nice run with a dodgy calf speedy. take care of it :)

blues buffett said...

Concord Golf Course is a little hilly. I've been round it years ago, but carrying clubs.
I did the West Met QE2 park race this year. Never again. A pretty park, but I don't like steeplechases. Steve Whelan has much to answer for on that one...

Tesso said...

It takes so long after an injury break to get back in the zone doesn't it? Even though you are running it just doesn't feel right. But then finally it does and gees, how good a feeling is that!

So glad you are in that space again :-)

Ewen said...

Sounds like a tight cow bell could be choking the calf.

Your running is unfolding as it should!

Superflake said...

Good one 2p. It's all downhill to six foot now.

TA and the Gnome said...

How nice to get a sweet run earlier than anticipated!

May there be many more.

TA

blues buffett said...

Now come on!
TWO Buffett lyric quotes! Maybe I'll start my posts with a few and see if you can pick them...Did you go to his two concerts in Oz ('86,'87)?
Hope you haven't died by Thursday, and you'll be roarin' Friday night. Just don't go down to the Snake Pit to drink a little beer, or it will start all over again and you'll be leaping colorbonds...

Simlin said...

The force is strong with you!

miners said...

LoL - nice one mate - makes me want to squeeze the two races in even more now!!

great to hear the calf may have realised it needs to behave itself. what with 119 days left to go and all ...