Saturday, November 25, 2006

Sekrit Stairs

Today Total: 16k
Week Total: 44k
Month Total: 176k
Year Total: 1660k

After confering with CR Sarge and the NPWS at Blackheath yesterday to make sure I wasn't going to get toasted by the bushfires up the mountains I duly headed out the door and up the hill at 4.30AM this morning.

It was a bit eerie driving through the smoke and fog in the lower Blue Mountains but ended up being pretty clear at Explorers Tree.

I started running at 5.45AM and as there was good light and the stairs were relatively dry I decided to hammer it a bit hitting Nellies Glen sign in 13.34 and by the time I hit the fire trail my legs felt flat and heavy which was just the way I wanted them :-) For Six Foot you really have to get used to running on flat heavy legs if you are not going to die a thousand deaths up Blacks Range.

A note for Garmin Geeks - the replacement 305 did not drop out at all on the way down Nellies!!! Whereas my old 305 and 301 were useless here - not sure if this was just fortuitous sattlite position or the new 305 is or version 2.4 of the firmware are more gooder in some way? It gave me 7.72k to Megalong Valley Road which according to Actions official measurement isn't too far out.

It was 12 degrees and clear up top but it was quite cold and foggy in the valley but it was also fauna fantastic with wallabies, horses, lyre birds, whip birds, bell, birds, parrots and cockatoos all adding to the ambience.

I arrived at Megalong Valley Road in 55.02 which I was pretty happy with. Someone else was out sekrit training too as there was a car parked up with a still warm grill and this years edition of the 6' cap on the back seat - one of the Massai I wonder?

My goal today was to see how close to 2.15.14 I could get as this was the time I ran in training in February leading up to this years race.

I managed to run all the way back to the Nellies sign and then started the long grinding walk to the top - the Garmin did drop out very briefly (probably in sympathy with my heart) while I was walking up the steps - it still gave me a total of 15.36km though which is far closer to the mark than the 12 something I got using the 301.

I made the gate in 2.17.56 - 2mins 42secs outside February's time which I'm pretty pleased with for this stage of my training.

When I did this run 3 weeks ago I couldn't walk properly for a couple of days afterwards so it will be interesting to see how I pull up this time :-)

16 comments:

running uphill said...

Sounds like a challenging run 2P. I'm jealous of all the bird-life! I usually see plenty, except for the lyre birds, have only seen one once. Would the Garmin work here at Eungai? That's half way between Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour? I am feeling tempted.

Ewen said...

The bottom in 13:34 is quick! Kevin might offer you the job of pacing the guns come March.

Must be great to get down there early, before 800 others have disturbed the locals :)

Ellie80 said...

great job! but 4.30 on a saturday! that is not too far from when a few of us would have gotten home...

Tesso said...

Less than 3 minutes off, great stuff! Hope the leggies have pulled up okay.

Won't everyone be sekrit training soon? You need a fake moustache.

Tesso said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lulu said...

Glad you didn't get toasted out there!

Sounds like a tough but satisfying run and I look foward to the recovery reports, sans stiffness we hope.

Spark Driver said...

Fantastic run. I hope your recovery treats you well.

Anonymous said...

Great run, but the 4.30 start......

Anonymous said...

Good stuff 2P, very envious of you being out there, want to get out there myself very soon!
MPH

Superflake said...

I keep having to log in since moving onto the beta blog version. Pain in the neck.

Unknown said...

Well, 2P....how did you pull up this time? The truth & nothing but the truth!

Stephen Lacey said...

Well done. Good time on the run and another nice nature study. Those animals were probably fleeing from the wall of flames.
BTW, the feed from my blog seems to have broken; you may need to resubscribe.
Steve L

CJ said...

Thanks for putting the frighteners on me but its also handy getting these little tips too. Somehow I am going to have to get some sekrit training in before March next year!

Hope you have a lovely run on Wednesday morning. I may or may not be running up Mt Taylor!

CJ said...

Thanks for putting the frighteners on me but its also handy getting these little tips too. Somehow I am going to have to get some sekrit training in before March next year!

Hope you have a lovely run on Wednesday morning. I may or may not be running up Mt Taylor!

D said...

Your training is going so well 2P. Good news on the Garmin. I love my 305!

Unknown said...

A lot of acclaimed collectors of the hermes handbags
is Victoria Beckham. Added celebrities, such as Lindsey Lohan, all babble about their Kelly handbag
. The Kelly handbags
was recovered aural canicule.
FAMILY MATTERS
, is bringing the possibility of low-cost, professional-grade FAMILY MATTERS DVD
authoring to Linux. Although it doesn't yet support all the features of the FAMILY MATTERS DVD COLLECTION
specification.