Tuesday, November 28, 2006

New Shoes

Today Total: 8k
Week Total: 8k
Month Total: 184k
Year Total: 1668k

I won't lie LL - I pulled up very sore again after the Stair Master workout on Saturday, particularly in the calves - they were like 2 unripe grapefruits - all hard and bitter :-)

But given that 3 weeks ago when I did the stairs I couldn't run till the following Wednesday afternoon I'll claim it as a victory that I was able to hobble around the foreshore this morning.

Legs and whole system felt tired and frumpy for the entire trip this morning - I must be doing something right :-) I think it was Deek who said distance runners go to bed exhausted and wake up tired......

It didn't help my humour a whole lot when I stopped at 5k for a quick stretch of the grapefruit - leaking sweat profusely into what what was fast becoming my own version of Warragamba Dam (except with more water) when this African chappy comes loping along at what looks like sub 4 min pace wearing a bloody PVC spray jacket!!! Give me a break!

I also used this mornings run to break in my new Asics Cumulus - plenty of room for my fat feet and I didn't get any of the pins and needles I normally do till the new shoe has stretched sufficiently - a nice cushioned ride but damn they are sooooo white (what a stupid colour for a running shoe). Even people wearing sunglasses were squinting as I ran towards them.

Anyhoo all up a fairly pedestrian 8k in 46.35 (av 5.49).

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Deek's quote (or whoever said it). I always thought it was just me, tired all (well most) of the time.

Ellie80 said...

haha - crazy bastard. perhaps its his 6 foot training regime so that any weather will seem nice :)

or else its a fashion statement??

Stephen Lacey said...

This is quite common in Japan too...people way over-dressed for the conditions. There must be a commonly held belief that it is good for something.

Clairie said...

Woo hoo new shoes.

Maybe the old ones also contributed to some of the soreness in your calves? Then again running up those bloody stairs it is a wonder you are not sore ALL OVER!

Hope the recovery run this morning has done the trick to loosen you up.

miners said...

thanks for the tip RE: the brightness of the cumulus. suppose I could get the boys to have a go with their textas again though ...

So when are we going to see you out in your PVC gear? I presume you've been inspired to trial a new coat out for 6FT?

Rachel said...

Good to see you are doing your bit for the drought effort!

New shoes is always good :)

Samurai Running said...

Hey 2P

Don't feel so bad about the "African chappy" he probably throws on lumber jacket and a scarf when the temperature drops below 20 degrees.

The only shoes that I reckon should be white are high heel ones with ostrich feather trimming. I'll leave it at that then.

Lulu said...

At least you can walk this week! Just do a couple of trial runs in your shoes and they'll soon be suitably grey and murky looking.

Ewen said...

A few more stair sessions will fix the white shoes.

I guess that's why Gabriella Szabo reportedly slept for 12 hours a day!

So 2P, when is your next 5k race? We should do one in the same week - I have plenty of options down here.

CJ said...

Also love Deek's quote because I can so relate to it - especially as I have a 4.30am wake up call tomorrow!

Jut noticed you have the CC half marathon this weekend - good luck; hope it all goes well.

Tesso said...

You could always join The White Shoe Brigade ... "a group of Australian privledged businessmen notorious for dodgy developments and $2 companies" ... and seal the 6ft Track with concrete.

Spark Driver said...

I too don't get the whole "white running shoe" thing. What are they thinking??

Thanks for your Movember donation. The support from my Blogger buddies has been awesome.