Sunday, November 19, 2006

Return Of The Roller Coaster

Today Total: 26k
Week Total: 53k
Month Total: 132k
Year Total: 1616k

Well I guess I'm happy that I covered 26 very hilly kms this morning under my own steam but geez it was slow.

I made my way through the Gwandy Trails and onto the bitumen in Munmorah State Rec Park. It is possible to run more trail than I did today but I can't resist the 5k section of road that is a succession of big dippers - 2 of which are steepish climbs of approximately 80m - hence the roller coaster title. I managed to maintain a running action through all of this section which was the only goal I set myself for this run.

Back on to trail the section across to Catherine Hill Bay was just exquisite this morning. The sun rising across the coast, the sound of the waves breaking, the surfers bobbing up and down on their boards off the little beaches way below, the whip birds and the kookaburras, and me with the whole cliff top trail to myself - perfect.

I started to struggle from about the 15k mark on the gradual climb back out to the Pacific Highway and up to the Big Prawn with my speed dropping back to official trudge pace - I was very glad to take a break to refill the camelbak and have a nibble.

Setting out again I picked the pace up a bit as I headed down the steep Big T Fire Trail but when it levelled out it was back to trudge with km splits getting as slow as 8.30's and even a couple of 9's - I was cooked. I did manage to keep a running action (well I call it a running action but I was pretty much just going up and down on the one spot with the occasional horizontal progress - probably due to the earth turning while my feet were in the air) happening up hill and down dale - but the last 7k was more trial than trail and I even went to a 10+min k split on one uphill stretch.

When I got home I just collapsed for 10 minutes on the ground then had a shower and went and lay down for about 40 minutes - rarely have I felt so wasted after a run - I was in stunned mullet mode.

I suppose coming off the back of the plague (which is still mildly in attendance) and with the lack of recent long runs I shouldn't have expected any better but with a PB of 2.51 for this course todays 3.29 was very, very ordinary.

Lots of work to do yet - no point whingin about it - just keep looking at the counter at the top of the page and get on with it ;-)

9 comments:

Ewen said...

I heard the earth was turning very slowly today. 3hrs 29mins is good - half the length of time needed for a 6' finishers medal ;)

Superflake said...

It might be slow but it's a long run out of the way which is great. Six Foot is coming. I'm excited.

Samurai Running said...

"stunned mullet mode" You have a way with words 2P and, if I might be so bold, an unheathly obsession with fish. Last week it was carp.

Anyway, I wouldn't be too worried my long run today went very well compared to a really bad one the week before. You will come good!

And that was a nice description of Catherine Hill Bay. I Used to surf there, a long time ago, it brought back memories.

running uphill said...

Well done for hanging in there 2P. Sounds like a great place to run. Take care not to overdo it!

Anonymous said...

Well done for grinding that one out. Sounds like Catherine Hill Bay was dangerously close to finding you in your happy place.

Speaking of happy places, I am hoping that one awaits JB at the end of his adventure.

Steve L

Horrie said...

2p, it's runs like these that will get you to Caves House on March 10. Just keep feeding the obsession.

Gronk said...

Ooh nice run 2P. Running yourself into form nicely mate.

Tesso said...

"Stunned mullet mode" - unlike Scott I didn't think of fish, I thought of some dopey guy with a mullet hairdo looking ... well ... stunned.

Tesso said...

Ooooh, I'm not saying you are the dopey guy with the mullet!