Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Not Too Shabby

Today Total: 12k
Week Total: 12k
Month Total: 91k (adjusted to account for an earlier error)
Year Total: 1575k

A beautiful clear cool morning in tinsel town, perfect for running and time to step up the training.

After Sunday the pins were not sore - just really fatigued and I moped around most of yesterday feeling fairly jaded.

This morning was a different day however and I woke naturally about 5.00AM (though in hindsight what's natural about that?) and I was raring to go.

It's all very well running out and back along the forehore but it's flat as a billiard table - ok for speed work and LHR stuff but I need a bit of variety. So this morning I resurrected an old 12k loop that makes the best use of what laughable rises (that I will loosely refer to as hills) that Concord has to offer.

The first 2k is mostly grass or broken dirt track which is relatively heavy going, with the 2nd k rising gently for most of it. The next 4k is indeed flat around the foreshore and the last 6k undulates its way around the Concord Golf Course - almost all of the 8th and 10th kms are uphill.

I was heartened to go through 10k sub 60mins and as the last 2k are pretty cruisy I put the foot down a bit and my last 2 splits were 5.25 and 5.29 which I was very happy with.

All up 12k in 70.37 (5.53 av).

:-)

6 comments:

Jen said...

Nice. Those poor suckers who don't run have absolutely no idea what they are missing do they? ;-)

Lulu said...

Nothing shabby about that at all. I like waking up naturally.. less of a shock than the alarm.. just wish it was 8am not 5!

Ellie80 said...

it was a very beautiful morning for it - makes you glad to be a runner hey? nice run :)

Tesso said...

I just love the early morning starts in summer. Sleep when you're dead, until then have a nanna nap in the afternoon.

Nice work :-)

miners said...

5.00am - always normal :)

Ewen said...

'Race pace' through 10k then a 2k kick down - I like it!