Saturday, October 07, 2006

Striders 10k Plod

Today Total: 10k
Week Total: 28k
Month Total: 28k
Year Total: 1366k

After Wednesday's and Thursday's hit outs I predicted it would be a hard day at the office today - talk about your self fulfilling prophesy - I reckon I could do Sister Cleo out of a job.

My first ever Striders event and I must say what an impressive machine. I'd join but I am a big believer that if you are a member of a club then you should put in as well as take out and I simply don't have the time available to contribute. But I will continue to fund their coffers (gladly) with the extra visitors charge at those events I can make it to into the future.

The usual suspects were in attendance including Tesso who is moving here from Brissy (hehe couldn't resist that Clairie) and it was really nice catching up with all my virtual mates from both Blogland & CR.

I was planning to go 59.59 but after 2k I knew that wasn't going to happen - the slight rise on Pondage Link Road had my VMO's screaming from Thursday's ride - my breathing was fine for a change but the legs were just dead and so it was plod, plod, plod.

I had convinced myself that I would DNF at 5k but as I trotted back to the Start/Finish area the legs and brain refused to yield and I accepted my fate and continued on with the 2nd lap.

I haven't seen the official time yet but it will be in the high 63's (nett) Edit: 64.02 gun - I think I was about 4th last Edit: I was 6th last, but there were also 9 DNF's - fairly woeful given that a few short months ago I was running 10 minutes faster as comfy training runs. Still - on the bright side - I've seen some positive movement on the scales and I am back into double digits so it can only get better from here ;-)

14 comments:

Spark Driver said...

You seem to be losing weight quickly? You will be back to your old form in no time.

Ellie80 said...

good to see you again today 2p. i reckon there were lots of people feeling like they weren't at their best today. i for one am going to enjoy being in front of you while it lasts ;) (i reckon that was probably it actually)

have a lovely weekend!!

Simlin said...

not a bad Saturday plod...I was in the bean bag.

Horrie said...

Great to see you out and about again 2P. It had been a while since we tackled a small run up the Pacific Highway in June. So considering that you haven't done much in the 4 months in between, you've got to be happy with your effort today. Especially considering the very warm conditions. Keep the plodding going to support that 6 Foot habit. This reminds me that we have to get back out to Quarry Rd soon.

Steve's Stuff said...

I think it was George from Sienfeld, "I'm back baby"

Jen said...

You'll be flying again very soon 2P.

Particularly when the words "Quarry Road" are mentioned....

Ewen said...

64:02 is one hard day at the office 2P. Well done on your new career as a prophet ;)

R2B said...

Plod or not 10km were completed and your in one piece.
I think you are just feeding the addiction until it's ready to explode!!

Be careful your unleashing a monster ;)

Superflake said...

Well done on getting through the race 2p. You'll be back to your best in no time.

Don Juan said...

Good to see you get out there to the local run. It took me about 2 years before I yielded and joined striders. To volunteer for pre-race registration duties required 30 minutes and I ran the 10km on the day. There are about 500 members, so that's all the club needs.
Later I also volunteered for more duties because I was injured; funny about that.

miners said...

Great effort after one of the biggest layoffs in CR (and certainly PG) history. Fantastic to hear you committed yourself to that second lap. You probably did more good for yourself by doing so than any other run in the last 6 months mate :)

Hilda said...

That was a struggle right? You are moving on!!

Bernie G said...

It was good see out there again today. I am sure the times will drop dramatically over next few weeks.

Dave said...

Good to see you out there 2p, sorry we did not get a chance to catch up afterwards!