Thursday, October 05, 2006

Bike Bliss

Just got back from a 53k ride on the mountain bike in 2 hours 40 - considering some of it was on dirt trail and some on grass I'm very happy with it.

Another glorious day in tinsel town so I donned the bike knicks and my ancient Reynold 531 jersey and headed off on the MTB to Parramatta via Meadowbank, Ermington and Rosehill.

When I got to Parramatta Park a small pack of road bikes was passing so I tacked on the back to see if I could keep up - they were travelling between 26 & 27kmh on the flat - just cruising and having a good old natter. It was a bit of a stretch for me but I thought a nice quicker section would be just the ticket to break up my ride and make the 20k homeward trip interesting.

I stuck with them for 6 laps, struggling a little on the slight rise just after the main entrance but found I was reaching for the brakes as my greater weight and gravity took over on the down. No one spoke to me - I don't think they thought very much of a triple figure fatso on a $250 MTB with normal pedals, nobbly tyres, wheel reflectors and a bell tagging on to them - but what the hey I'd let them run with me anytime  ;-)

After breaking off from them I then set sail for home pretty much the same way as I'd come - the 6 faster laps had certainly made my legs nice and toasty - I was fine on the flat but my legs were soon screaming on any hills - I loved it! I will confess - the last 3k were a bit of a drag and I had definitely had enough by the time I turned into my driveway but as I said at the start, I'm very happy with it.

Man I love holidays :-)

11 comments:

Rachel said...

Nice ride 2P. Sounds tiring!

Ellie80 said...

yeah nice ride - i am going to see what reaction i get from the bike shop if i ask for spokey-dokeys to be fitted on the new bike before i pick it up...

miners said...

but you didn't stop at the cafe with the roadies on the way home?

booo ... I want to be on holidays too.

Simlin said...

Well more full them for not talking to you, could of had you out the front.

I will say it again, I gotta get me one of those $250 bikes.

R2B said...

Nice relaxing one 2P thats the way good to see your enjoying yourself!!

I bet those bikers couldn't do 6' now could they?

Cheers R2B

Bernie G said...

It's a good thing you didn't have pom-poms on the handle bars. There may have been some bike rage in the park.

Don Juan said...

Good workout.

You might have got away with the reflectors and bell, but the noise from trainer-wheels probably gave the game away.
Visions of that caboose from CC half pace-train come to mind.

TA and the Gnome said...

I've never known someone to get so excited about hurting so much... Hmmm... :-) :-)

Gnome

Hilda said...

You just know how to spend your holidays, that the thing!

Great you could sustain their pace for 6 laps. Completing more than 2 hours seems like a great workout.
Definitely I have to stick to the bike as the HR doesn't climbs up as high as when running.

Clairie said...

Great idea pulling in behind that other group.
Though the imagery you present was hilarious.

I'm sure however that you WOULD let them run with you - and no doubt set the pace for them as well! Invite them along to 6ft....

Ewen said...

Now, if you'd been out running and sitting on the back of Mottram's pack I'm sure he'd have been happy to chat to you ;)