Sunday, October 15, 2006

Misty Mountains

Today. Total: 14k
Week Total: 24k
Month Total: 52k
Year Total:1390k

I really struggled on Thursday morning and by 10PM that night I knew why - let's just say I had urgent and competing priorities for the loo and throughout the night I woke several times with a raging temperature.

By midday I felt a lot better but the prospect of flying didn't really thrill me a whole heap - anyhoo I made it home and went straight to bed.

This weekend was a "Bathurst weekend" and I was pretty poor company for the Halfpenny on Saturday - though I felt heaps better and was eating normally I felt tired and washed out like I'd had a heavy night on the turps.

This morning however I woke fresh as and feeling fine and decided Narrowneck was on. Three times I've been here in the last four weeks and each time the conditions have been starkly different. Today it was a balmy 19 degrees and the valleys were just starting to haze up.

I headed off determined to better my time from Wednesay week ago - I immediately knew I was in better shape when I ran all of the first of the rises - I did still walk some of the steeper sections throughout the run but I certainly ran heaps more of the uphill than last time.

I had 3 goals:

- no double digit km splits (check)
- negative split (check 1.34 -ve split)
- faster than last attempt (check beat it by 9.01)

Very happy 2P as this is the best indicator yet that I am starting to get lighter, fitter and faster - I loooooooove these hilly trail runs for what they can do to your confidence (the view and the vibe aint bad either).

By the time I got back to the car it was almost whiteout conditions with visibility down to about 50m as the fog rolled in during the last 2k and the temperature noticibly started to drop - vindicating my decision to always carry a space blanket when running solo in the mountains.

Our mountains might not be very high - but geez - I feel on top of the world this arvo :-)

18 comments:

Shane said...

Very nice 2p, great result, your progress is certainly moving in the right direction.

Gronk said...

Good news 2P. Keep chipping away mate.

Lulu said...

It's great when you have a run where you feel you're making progress! Glad the bug didn't keep you down for too long.

Don Juan said...

Well done for plugging away at it.
I was getting a bit misty eyed there, jealous actually.

Spud said...

Good to hear 2P, them thar mountains do make for inspiring and invigorating running.

Stephen Lacey said...

Nice one toop!

At least I wasn't sitting in an office this time.

Tesso said...

Yay! So good to read a positive blog entry from you :-)

Dave said...

Nice improvement 2p, I expect to see another 9 min improvement next time ;)

R2B said...

Good going 2P
A nice confidence raiser.

steadily steadily you'll make it.

Hilda said...

You can feel in the top of the world after a run, no matter where you are :D

Great you just recover fast!

miners said...

Mate - you're coming back fast and with a vengeance! Looks like the "next big thing" will be a good day out :)

Steve's Stuff said...

Great to hear 2P and another check item:-

- On the improve - check.

Rachel said...

Geez, that sounded like an aweful bug, but what a great run. Wicked!

Don Juan said...

Top of world make benefit for glorious run feeling.

Borat

TA and the Gnome said...

...and I drove the Bells Line of Rd in that fog that night. Not fun at all!

Glad to hear such a good story. You deserve it :-)

Gnome

Spark Driver said...

Good post there 2P. Very uplifting.

Ewen said...

That's a huge improvement. Must have been those inspiring pre-fog mountain views.

You have me thinking I should do some of my rides carrying a backpack full of cement ;)

Jen said...

Note to self: buy spaceblanket ;-) Might to time to read through the lecture series me thinks...