Sunday, November 27, 2005

Toning It Down

Today Total: 12k
Week Total: 42k
Month Total: 194k
Year Total: 1355.4k

Thank goodness I threw my CR tri top  into my bag before I left for Bathurst. I had originally just packed a singlet, but 9 years of going to Bathurst every 3rd weekend has taught me never to take the weather for granted.. It was cold and rainy when I woke up so it wasn't too hard a decision as to what to wear.

I ran 3k back towards town before doing 2 laps of a loop formed by a bridge to bridge bicycle/walking track that runs each side of the Macquarie River. It rained, it poured then it rained some more, at one stage there were tiny little hail stones and I was really glad my shoulders were covered.

I couldn't whinge though because when I went past Explorers Tree yesterday it was coming down in buckets and my thoughts were very much with LL and her happy band as they made their way towards the Cox's River (and ultimately Jenolan Caves - I hope) across treacherous mountain trails. I was very happy to see the pic posted by KT indicating they had made it to the Cox's because the 15k stretch just preceding that in my view is the most dangerous..

But back to my run - I have been letting the blood rush a bit to my head lately and it really is time to tone it down a little so I headed off keeping a close eye on Hal to ensure a very deliberate slower pace hovering at around 5.50. I ended up averaging 5.48 so I was pretty happy with that.

The plan is to hit the start line next Sunday fresh and pain free, so right now my thoughts are: training on Monday night, quickish 8k on Tuesday, training Wednesday night, not quite as quickish 6 to 8k on Thursday, then rest Friday and Saturday. Of course like all my plans it is subject to change without notice :-)

6 comments:

Katie said...

Good on you for getting out in the rain on your own!! We ran in the rain this morning... at one stage I thought someone was throwing rocks... only sideways rain! I would have sooo stayed in bed if I was on my own :) You will be chomping at the bit next week! It is hard in that last week to hold back when your feeling good... but you will appreciate it Sunday!

Jen said...

You've had a great preparation 2P. I'm looking forward to cheering you along as you fly next weekend!

J

Tesso said...

I just realised you have 'regular' weekend running spots in three totally different places - very envious.

Sounds like a good plan for the week TP. I'm expecting you and Aunty K to do Team J proud on Sunday.

Don Juan said...

Thanks 2P for the welcome.

Sounds like a good build up for the weekend. Good luck for it.

miners said...

Good thinking 99 - the plan looks perfect for a great run Sunday. Make sure you keep yourself healthy so you can be interviewed during the run by Plu for the podcasts

Stephen Lacey said...

Nothing like a run in miserable conditions to reinforce self-confidence in your mental toughness. Important with a race around the corner. Good luck with it TP if I don't get back to you in the meantime. I'm enjoying my restful post-marathon period. Two sleep-ins until seven o'clock in a row. Luxury!