Wednesday, November 16, 2005

No Surrender

Today Total: 12k
Week Total: 12k
Month Total: 122k
Year Total: 1283.4k

I was really chuffed to run 70k last week which is my second highest weekly total for the year (highest 84k in Feb).

With two days break to let the hand heal a bit (I didn't want to risk infection with sweaty bandages after I drained the blisters) my legs felt really fresh this morning.

Todays plan was 12k, 2k's to warm up and then run at close to my projected CC Half race pace (5.15 - 5.30) with surges at 3k, 6k & 11k.

All was going swimmingly. Slight glitch with the Garmin on the 3rd k - Hal only recorded a 5.14 and I KNOW I was going at sub 5 pace! 6th k in 4.55. Average pace for the run was hovering around 5.25 (including the first 2 warm up k's).

At 10.58k the wheels fell off and both calves tightened considerably, particularly the left which "went" - not a tear per se but very painful. I ended up hobbling home in a smidge over 67 mins for the 12k.

But my new mantra is: "I will not be cowed by my calves". And I won't! Apart from the double entendre amusing me it is also the most positive affirmation I can think of to overcome the beastly Gastroc twins.

So lots more ice, lots more compression, maybe a little retreat, but definitely no surrender!

10 comments:

Stephen Lacey said...

2P...mate, I have finally taken the plunge into bloglines...you can expect to hear more from me. Bloody hell, it looks addictive though. Hope the burns are healing alright. Some people will go to extreme lengths to avoid a bit of work ay!

2P said...

Bloglines is a very slippery slope Steve :-)

CJ said...

Take care 2P - you want to be running the CC half, not hobbling, or worse still, not doing it all.

2P said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lulu said...

Hope you can keep the calves under control! Always annoying when your body isn't being co-operative.

Jen said...

Great motto 2P. Take care of those calves; I'm looking forward to seeing you at CC Half - though I hope I don't scare you too much with my cheering and pom-pom waving ;-)

J.

Tesso said...

Your mantra is a classic! Makes me think there should be a CR award for 'Best Signiture'.

miners said...

cows - calves ... LOL

Have to agree with Tess on this one.

You make sure you're still running freely for CC - start cranking back those big 70km+ weeks big fella!

Steve's Stuff said...

The Garmin's great but I don't totally rely on the so-called real-time pace. I find it fluctuates too much. I've set up the custom data page to show 'Overall Average Pace' - a great aid for long distance runs.

D said...

Ice ice and more ice. A little rest in between is good too! Be careful! A little retreat but no surrender sounds great!