Thursday, November 10, 2005

Back To The "Bush"

Today Total: 12k
Week Total: 32k
Month Total: 72k
Year Total: 1233.4k

This morning I ran my Yaralla Bay, Rhodes, Bicentennial Park loop. It incorporates 5k of bush trail along the foreshore.

I haven't done this run for months but it my absolute favourite run from home. I've deliberately been giving it a break because I'll just about live down the bush section  once my 6' prep starts in earnest.

It really is like the land that time forgot. In some places it is just bush but in others there are old huts that date back to WW11 when it was used as a repat hospital for wounded diggers. There are also a couple of historic manors which are absolutely majestic.

The bush section ends at the Kokoda Memorial Walkway and I never fail to reflect on just how hard it must have been for our boys. Sometimes for me it hurts enough just running, let alone having some mal intended bugger with a big bundook trying to shoot you whilst you are trying to remember what it is like to eat and wondering what those big red pussy sores are....

It is the mix of bush, broken and undulating ground, flat running, a couple of short sharp hills and some stairs, good scenery and a distinct lack of other humans that makes this my favourite.

Ah life is good you know, can't understand why so many people waste it.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Oh now I'm certainly going to have to try out that trail; thanks again for the directions :-)

Thank you for your comments on my blog. My chin is up and my thoughts are turning to 2006 and (maybe) March 2007 ;-)

J.

miners said...

Fantastic sounding run 2P - great prep fro 6FT too by the sounds.

Tesso said...

Sounds like an awesome track to run TP. Really amazing isn't it that you can find something like that so close to the city.

Dave said...

I've run through there a few times in orienteering events and you are right, a great little secluded part of the world.

6 ft here we come!

runlady said...

mmmm, nice run. It's good to escape on a run somewhere different.

Bennyr said...

Sounds like an excellent loop - I'll have to try it out.

You've buggered up the solitude on that course now!