Saturday, November 19, 2005

I'll Take It

Today Total: 9k
Week Total: 21k
Month Total: 131k
Year Total: 1292.4k

It is always a fine line as to when to run again. To an extent it is a bit of a punt whether the injury has healed enough so that a run will aid recovery, or not enough and you will bugger it up more. With years of experience with the evil Gastroc twins I have gotten better at predicting the odds, but it is far from an exact science.

I think we could call today a draw.

At training last night my calf niggled away at me non stop - fair dinkum I reckon it could get a spot in the slips cordon in the Aussie cricket team. Mowing the lawn this morning (we are up at the lake house) it was a dull ache but no "grabby" niggles so I figured a run was an even money bet.

Mrs 2P did the decent and dropped me up the end of Kanangra Drive on her way to the shops. The first couple of k's were touch and go and a couple of times I thought I had over done it so I slowed right down to about a 6.15 pace and just doddled along. My twin mantra being "don't push it" and "I won't be cowed by my calves".

This was only going to be 6k run but I  was feeling pretty chipper all things considering and decided to extend. One problem though was that it being just a smidge under 30 degrees and that I had not long finished mowing, I had gone through 500mls of water in just 5k! A quick stop into the Tunkawallan Tennis Club and the lovely bar maid refilled my water container with a bit of ice and chilled purified water - nectar :-)

The last 2k of this run was around the foreshore (grass - no track) and it was absolutely gorgeous. I wouldn't say I was in my happy place today because my calf ached all the way, but I'll take it.

 I don't think I did the injury any further harm (only time will tell) and as they say every one you get through is one they can never take away.

PS the hand is coming along well - just a couple of spots that still look like hamburger - Silvazine is a miracle cream!

1 comment:

CJ said...

Injuries are the bane of my life - sometimes its hit and miss when returning from injury or how far to push that niggle. A magic wand would come in handy (I am watching a Harry Potter movie at the moment!)