Sunday, November 20, 2005

High Roller

Today Total: 21k
Week Total: 42k
Month Total: 152k
Year Total: 1313.4k

The highs and lows of running.... it's a funny old game this running lark. After the trauma of this last week and yesterdays fairly ordinary run, this mornings run was fan-bloody-tastic :-)

I took on the "Roller Coaster" again.



This is by far the hardest run that I have been doing lately. The first 6k trend as gentle climb all the way (ignore the dip on the graph below at 4k - that must have been a Garmin glitch - a more accurate representation is to imagine the last 6k in reverse) and then from there till 12.5k is a series of steep ups and downs culminating in two 80 - 90 meter or so climbs on the 11th and 12th k's. The last 8.5k is a bit of a  doddle by comparison.



With an eye on the bigger picture of getting ready for next years 6',  I have done this run three times in the lead up to the CC Half and the improvement is so big you could measure it with a sun dial!

23/10: 2.41.12 (walked part of the hills)
30/10: 2.25.44
20/11: 2.18.05

That is a whopping 23+ mins better than my first go! The 11th and 12th k splits for the three runs tell a pretty happy story too.

11k: 8.52, 8.10, 7.19
12k: 9.44, 9.25, 8.21

These still aren't splits to rave about, but they do show a marked improvement in my steep hill running.

Given last weeks drama I have no real plan yet on how to approach these last 2 weeks other than I will shorten up the distance a bit. I'm a little nervous about doing any speed work as I don't want to risk aggravating Messers Gastroc.

I'm also revising down my goal time. I know on a good day I could go a ways under 1.50 but I also don't want to risk going out hard and having the evil twins rain on my parade at some stage. So at this juncture the plan is to run at a disciplined 5.40 pace to 15k and then play it by ear (subject to change without notice due to fluctuating testosterone and adrenalin levels).

I would rate Woodford to Glenbrook as my best running performance this year, so if I can walk away from the Central Coast Half feeling like I have eclipsed that I will be very happy.

9 comments:

Lulu said...

That's a great improvement on your hill running 2P. Gives me hope that I'll be able to improve mine in time. Hope the evil twins behave themselves for CC half.

Jen said...

Wow, huge improvement 2P - well done!

J

PS You haven't factored into your CC half time prediction the effect of having a girl stand on the sidelines jumping up and down yelling your name ;-)

Tesso said...

So was that all on trails TP? Looking at the pic of where you ran one could almost be converted from a bitumen lover.

2P said...

Tesso - the first and last 6.3k are on a dirt track that runs parallel to the only road in/out of Gwandalan that is bordered on both sides by light forest. The next 5.7k are on bitumen through the Munmorah State Rec Park (very quiet on a Sunday morning)with some ocean views and a mixture of eucalypt forest and heath. Then 1k of beautiful fire trail through a ferny eucalypt forest. This is followed by 1.7k on the old Pacific Hwy which is also bordered by forest - pretty busy road but there is a breakdown lane to run in (seems appropriate for me) then retrace the first 6.3k.

There are lots of trail options too which I have run in the past but they are very rarely used and I've stayed away recently just in case the calf blows up in a big way - help would be a long time coming.

Run trails Tess - you know you want too :-)

Dave said...

Good work and great improvements! All bodes well for CC half

miners said...

Fantastic improvment 2P! Looks like you'll be more than fine for that pace at CC, but it sounds like a good idea just to take it easy down there. Only 2 weeks to go!

Stephen Lacey said...

Don't get too anxious about the speedwork. A half marathon is mostly down to aerobic conditioning anyway, which has clearly improved a lot for you judging by those improvements in time. Looks like a fantastic run up and down all those hills. Making sure the screaming twins have something to complain about, ay?

Unknown said...

2P, I hope I can climb the mountains & ford the creeks on Saturday, with something like the energy you have had to call on lately! We will not only survive these events, we will both achieve our goals!

Steve's Stuff said...

Good going, love the pic and graph. Was the graph a screen copy of the Garmin Training Centre software?