Sunday, November 13, 2005

30k & Yes The Lawns Got Done!

Thanks for all your comments yesterday folks, your a sympathetic bunch - eh? ;-) Tesso are you sure you are not related to Mrs 2P?

Today Total: 30k
Week Total: 70k
Month Total: 110k
Year Total: 1271.4k

By 4.00pm yesterday the pain in my hand had subsided enough courtesy of Panadeine Forte and Silvazine (that stuff is amazing) for me to get out and manipulate the mower around the yard. I drew the line at doing the edges though :-)

The extent of burns are always difficult to assess initially, but when I got up this morning it was pretty clear I only had 2nd degree burns to about 40% of my palm and about 20%-30% of each finger - the rest is just scorched. So no excuse not to go for a run.

I know a 30k is not necessary for a half marathon preparation but as I'm just getting back into the swing of things I wanted it for my confidence. So I loaded up the camelback with a couple of litres of water and some Gu's and headed off. I like to run with the camelback as: I like the convenience of having a drink when I want one; you don't have to stop to get a drink &; I figure the extra weight is a good training aid.

The course joins up all my loops and features 5k of bush trail and some pretty specie views of Parramatta River - it also takes in the ghost town of the Olympic Park. The pic below is actually the 32k version - today I ran straight through Olympic Park which shortens it by 2k.



I had two goals - given that I had about 3kg's on my back I decided I wanted to run sub 62min splits for each 10k and to run the penultimate k in sub 2 hour half marathon pace (5.40). Results:

1st 10k - 61.44
2nd 10k - 61.34
3rd 10k - 63.01
Total for 30k - 3.06.19
29th k - 5.34

So I failed on the 3rd 10k split, but I just couldn't hold pace going up Silverwater Bridge and the big hill at 27k which takes me over North Strathfield Station. I also struggled a bit on a couple of the smaller hills through Olympic Park. I was pretty happy with the 5.34 for the 29th k though.

All in all a brilliant morning. Still as, warm and magic. Definitely a run where I was in my happy place :-)

8 comments:

Jen said...

Glad to hear that you are back - both on the road and behind the mower :-)

What a great run this morning. I'm told it was a lovely day for it ;-)

J.

PS Alright, I'll go for a swim :-)

Steve's Stuff said...

As long as you are in your 'happy place' that's all that matters.

I might have to try out a camelback one day.

Tesso said...

What a great run TP! Must be fun running through Olympic Park, even if it is deserted.

By the way, I stand by my comments of yesterday. Just after reading your blog I burnt a finger on my hair straighteners but I still managed to finish straightening my hair ;-)

Hope the hand starts to feel better soon.

Tesso said...

Re above comment, I meant your hand :-)

miners said...

damn - that wasn't a very good job on the hands there 2P. I would have made sure I blew up the entire thing so I could have skipped the lawns for the next fortnight or so.

Great looking run - is the Olympic site that much of a disaster? Just a town-planning morbid curiosity sort of thing - I know how bad the Melbourne experience was that's all

Hilda said...

Running 30k with a hand like that shouldn't be any easy.
I like the camel back also, because the way you drink water is so convenient that you don't even have to slow down.

D said...

Nice run!! Those happy places are what we run for!!!

Horrie said...

Sounds like a good run there 2P. Mate, I empathise with you about your run in with the Whipper Snipper. Whoever invented those things? Sounds like you're starting the buildup for 6 Foot Track. I am aiming to get out to Quarry Rd in December some time. I will keep you posted.