Sunday, January 21, 2007

Yowser!

Today Total: 31k
Week. Total: 60k
Month Total: 196k
Year Total: 196k

I've rarely suffered as much as I did today - a combination of not enough recovery from last weeks epic, a late night last night and the heat probably all contributed.

A small gathering of CR's (Jen_Runs, Inekuip, Terry, Moh & Rodo) met up for a return pilgrimage to the Coxs River and return.

Hehe me and 5 virgins - which meant I could tell all sorts of lies and tall stories and not get caught out :-)

I stuck with the lead group down the stairs but then stopped and waited for Jen & Terry - mainly because Jen was turning back at Megalong Road and this would be my only chance to have a yarn with her and partly because my legs already felt a bit iffy and I was fighting nausea.

We made a fairly companionable trio as we trotted down the fire trail nattering away and as luck would have it we caught the other three just as we reached the Megalong Road in 57mins.

We paused to bid good day to Jen and to generally sort ourselves out for the next bit.

Moh led the way onwards until it got technical and then Ine (the Downhill Demon) took over with the rest of us in tight 'line astern' formation for the 5 or so k of trail to the river. I was quietly questioning my decision to continue as I still felt a bit sick - anyhoo....

I let gravity do its thing and I fanged it down the last hill on the grass to the left of the track and led the gang to the river. I just plunged straight in and to my surprise the water quickly came up to my chest - I've never seen it so deep - indeed in mid December it was just a puddle and the river wasn't flowing at all.

I was heartened when I turned and saw Terry following suit - more wisely than I by holding his pack over his head. Ine then followed and it was quite amusing to see the water come up almost to her chin - but she never once faltered. Moh and Rodo elected to take the rocks.

I clicked Garmy once we hit where the timing mats go at 1.46 - juuuust right :-) We made our way up to the tank for a resup just as another group came sauntering down from Mini Mini.

Moh and Terry the 2 strongest of our group led the way back - I tailed off to get a stone out of my shoe. I was just in the process of catching up when zap! Something (probably a bull ant) bit me on the top of the left foot - it hurt like hell.

I quickly ripped my shoe and sock off but couldn't see anything and decided to sit put for 5 mins just on the off chance it was a spider. When no red streaks appeared I donned my footwear and headed up the hill.

This section was much more comfortable for me today (except for the nausea) than last time and I caught and passed Rodo near the last gate and the rest of the gang at Megalong Road where they where patiently waiting.

When Rodo arrived (after a short break) we headed off again. We all ran fairly strongly at first but eventually the group splintered with Moh and Terry disappearing into the distance - then me and Ine, and Rodo took up tail end charlie.

At first Ine and I would run a bit, walk a bit, but when it steepend up after the villiage we just walked - besides I had run out of water - a cardinal sin I know - but I had gone through 3L in about 12k!!! I suspect I must have started this run a bit dehydrated - it fits with the nausea and I did get a touch of the sun mowing the lawns yesterday up the lake - Oh well - it's the water in your belly not the bottle that counts :-)

By a third of the way up the stairs I was fairly gagging for a drink. I was still sweating but my right calf was threatening to cramp - I think I was still lucid - but with me it can be hard to tell :-)

I relented and Ine patiently waited while I took on board 1 1/2 L in the Camelbak from one of the creeks  (and I drank all that too before I hit the top). But the damage was done - my calves were on the verge of cramping and I told Ine to go on and that I would wait till the fluid hit my system before proceeding. I suffered badly up the last half of the stairs - even had to sit down a couple of times. Still it was fun :-)

Arrived at the gate in 4.40 (I'd done 4.27 in mid December - oh well).

Ine had some nice cold watermelon (ta Ine) for us all and by and by Rodo turned up to join the party.

A pretty tough day at the office but I'm happy to have another good 'time on feet' hitout under my belt. It was also nice to meet up with some CR's I'd not met before (and those that I have).

Thanks for the company guys :-)

16 comments:

Horrie said...

Sounds like a very tough day at the office 2p. I remember when Belinda and I did this run when Luckylegs did her 6 Foot run. We went very close to running out of water that day. It is pretty scary. Anyway, you did well to finish another very valuable training run which will help you on March 10.

R2B said...

Sounds like you must have been fairly gulping down that water 2P!

I try to just sip it but it's hard and it runs out so quick....best to be fully hydrated b4 you take off!

Cheers R2B

Would have come today if i wasn't working nightshift.Instead i did a "nice" 3.5hrs yesterday.

Jen said...

Thank you :-)

running uphill said...

Nausea, pain... you have a strange idea of fun :-)

Lulu said...

Sounds like a ball... not! Hope your recovery is swift and painless!

Shane said...

That sounded tough going, especially with the sickness. Hope you recover well.

I have never run out of water running, however I was cycling up in the Paluma national park, (Townsville area) and ran out. I had to resort to drinking the water running off the banks on the side of the road :-( Your refill sounds like it was much better quality, the rest of my night was pretty untidy to say the least.

Anyway nice running nonetheless, you are certainly getting some good time in the legs.

blues buffett said...

I'm not sure, even as a runner of sorts, how to classify your effort today. 31k in extreme heat without adequate fluids... hmmm... okay, benefit of doubt, very courageous and an incredible effort. At least I know your 6 foot report will be a cracker...

Superflake said...

Tough day at the office. Hope your body is getting back to normal after the run. I would have though going river diving might have helped. 3litres is a lot to use doing 15ks. Something strange there?

Gronk said...

Glad everything worked out OK in the end mate.

Tesso said...

I'm getting thirsty just reading this!

Might be wise to start hydrating now for your next onslaught. Which, by the way, is when?

Samurai Running said...

With all your forward progress of late you were up for a struggle I guess. still they all count towards the total and you've certainly got some in the bank for your next race.

Keep it up 2P

Ewen said...

Good of you to take care of the virgins 2P. A bit of a downer there were no snake sightings. 1:46 is good for a 5:45 6' by my calculations :)

Take care of the calves.

CJ said...

Ouch! Sounds like hard hot work. Hope you're feeling better.

Simlin said...

only 46 days to go, better start your hydration plan for the race now.

TA and the Gnome said...

The things we do for fun... :-)

Gnome

Anonymous said...

What an interesting run. I like your comment, "but it was still fun" after describing possible spider bite and nausea. I've never been on a run where crossing a river shoulder deep is in order, now that could be fun.

My new blog is here.