Friday, January 05, 2007

Quadelicious

Today Total: 10k
Week Total: 33k
Month Total: 33k
Year Total: 33k

After splashing about in the surf at Catherine Hill Bay I ran home via the same route I ran Monday.

The first 2k exactly of this run are all uphill inclusive 2 x 600m of particularly nasty bits and after yesterdays rest I decided to give it a bit of a go - I was well satisfied to split in 5.53 and 6.11 respectively. My leggies well and truly had the bite on them already so it was going to be interesting to see what I could hold on for for home.

There is one more stiff uphill bit which is virtually the whole 5th kilometre and I  split it in 6.27 - my quads and calves really had the burn up now and I was panting like a puppy at play time.

The rest of the run is just mildy undulating trail but I had to dig deep to try and maintain sub 6 min k's - particularly over the last 2k which were dead-set into the teeth of a howling Nor-Easter.

I put the pedal to the metal over the last 500m to make my last k split in 5.15 which had me gasping like a gaffed fish and doing the whole bend over with your hands on your knees routine.

Very happy to have done this 10k in 58.05 (av5.49) compared to the 63 minutes flat it took me to do it on Monday - amazing what a rest day will do for you :-)

Also managed to get a couple of paddles in the canoe in over the last couple of days which is good fun and a nice low heart rate workout.

Thanks for the continued comments guys - for those of you who haven't heard from me for a while because of the cackleberry issues I am keeping up via bloglines and look forward to resuming normal service soon.

7 comments:

Shane said...

Nice running 2P, don't you just love headwinds especially at the end of the run.

"amazing what a rest day will do for you" I would have thought the absence of that lazy 26k run the day before would have helped a little aswell ;-)

Stephen Lacey said...

Nice run 2P. I hate you for having that location to run in though. My only consolation is that you only have intermittant access. I had to run into a nasty headwind the other day too. It's tough going isn't it!

Vicky said...

Some great runs going on 2P. Don't think puppies or polar bears run quite that far... ;-)

MAR.

Ewen said...

OK... I think you need to run a comfortable 16k the day before your 5000m attempt.

Tesso said...

Luv it - "gasping like a gaffed fish" and "panting like a puppy at play time' :-)

Spark Driver said...

Technology hey? Were would we be without it?!?

Simlin said...

Love your work like a mozzy loves my blood.