Sunday, January 07, 2007

I Kicked Your Butt 2P :-)

Today Total: 26k
Week Total: 66k
Month Total: 66k
Year Total: 66k

Well *touch wood* the year has started well - not only my highest weekly kilometre tally since the troubles - but considering 6k was done flat stick and over 50k of it was run on hilly trails it has also been my hardest.

I really didn't want to play this morning - yesterday I had one of those six monthly headaches that makes you feel like your head is going to split. Which as an aside is why I was a no show as a spectator at the 12 hour - instead I was at home with my noggin buried under a pillow wishing that the flies could walk more softly on the roof - suffice it to say I felt flat as a tack when I woke up.

Time for the 2P 5 minute rule - run for 5 minutes and if it still feels crap go back home! I set the course function on Garmy using the course (my Roller Coaster course) from New Years Eve and headed off around the lake.

After just a few hundred meters I was off the pace and well behind - I decided not to look again till the 3k mark when I would have climbed the first reasonably sized hill - 47m in front - well, well, well, what have we got here 2P? - A PB opportunity? Early days..... and whilst iwasnt feeling brilliant I certainly didn't need to turn around and go home..

By 9k I had 275m up and the big hills were about to start - the next 4k contains the biggets hills and by the time I got to 13k I was 390m up - looking good. Given that New Years Eve run was 7 mins outside my PB time I knew I would have to beat myself (lol - I love technology) by more than a km to have a crack at the PB - half way and only 390m up - I needed to get a wriggle on.

I got a fair bit ahead on the run down into Catherine Hill Bay but then I lost some on the haul up to the Pacific Highway and I started to worry I'd cooked myself - but then running along the Pacific Highway (doing what Benny would call a "Vanity Fartlek" - you run faster whenever someone is watching :-) ) I started to increas the lead - at 18k I was up by 750m.

I hammered it down through the fire trails in Crangan Bay and eventually got out to about 950m in front - for the next 3k I hovered between 920 and 950m in front and then I let rip down the last hill pushing out to about 1.04km in front and then just tried to hold on for the last k.

In the way that only runners think is good I was suffering and just kept nudging the pace up until finally (I thought it would never come) the course completion alert went off. I had beaten my run on New Years Eve by 1.07k but more importantly by the 7 mins I needed to equal my course PB.

I stopped the clock in 2.51.12 - alas I didn't record the seconds the last time I ran 2.51 in Feb '06 so I don't know if it was a PB or not - but given my propensity for rounding down it's a safe bet I at least equalled it :-)

Pretty satisfied with that.

17 comments:

Shane said...

After what sounded like a horrible evening with the headache, to get out there and run a PB or at least equal it is a great result.

Nice job on the weekly mileage aswell :-)

Ellie80 said...

hehe - that 2P is no push over so good on you! huge run mate - especially in the circumstances. Hope the headache is all gone now.

i love that phrase - 'vanity fartlek' - that is what centennial park is like... sometimes the whole run!

Lulu said...

I like the vanity fartlek too, not that anyone could probably tell the difference!

Good to see you running so strongly..looking good!

Jen said...

Ah, I was wondering what happened to you. I was expecting a visit to check that I was still awake!

Nice work dude! Looks like 07 has kicked off well for both of us. 9 weeks yesterday & counting...

Ewen said...

I'm impressed - both with the PB and the negative split. Umm, 2:51 gets you somewhere beyond Mini Mini :)

Tesso said...

You should have bet a few beers on it ;-)

Superflake said...

Excellent run mate. Looking really good for Six Foot now. 26KS the top of Pluvi.

Hilda said...

That is the right path to follow.
Keep improving and growing!

Spark Driver said...

What an awesome effort. I would claim it as an overall PB winner.

Samurai Running said...

Hey 2P

2PBs within 2 weeks has to mean 2007 will be the year 2P puts "the
troubles" behind him.

All the best with it mate.

miners said...

Just popped my head out for long enough to see that things are all on track in 2P-land, other than for the migraine to end all migraines. Hope you're feeling better mate :(

Great to see you're enjoying yourself up around the lake. Catherine Hill Bay is just one of those great beaches too (at least, the surf there was always good). Hope you get many more days of making sand starfishes with the fam till you have to start thinking about that 'work' thingy again

running uphill said...

Great run 2P. Did a few 'vanity fartleks' myself while away. A pity that my usual route doesn't include spectators. It certainly helps.

Rachel said...

Until now I thought I'd never done fartlek sessions!
Great 5 minute philosophy there 2P. And look where it got you. Great run!

Spud said...

Nice running 2P, my wife grew up camping on Ghosties beach (Catherine Hill Bay), love the place. See you on the track soon.

Wobbly man said...

26 kms? I hope after the head thing subsided there was room for a quiet drink to review such a successful week.

Don Juan said...

Sounds like that butt being kicked is becoming a smaller target.

It's not a vanity fartlek if you're wearing clothes.

Vicky said...

Great effort and a great post about it too 2P.

"Vanity fartlek" - love it!

MAR.