Saturday, January 27, 2007

CR 5k Challenge

Today Total: 11k
Week Total: 23k
Month Total: 219k
Year Total: 219k

An absolutely gorgeous morning out on the bay with many of the regular suspects in attendance as well as a guest star appearance by Tesso who I think runs more Sydney CR 5k's than I do :-)

Keeping the bigger picture in mind and not wanting to compromise my long run tomorrow I decided to head off on 25 minutes with Benny and Professor.

We went out at a comfortable 4.50 pace and pretty much kept that up + or - a few seconds for the first 4k. Benny started to struggle a bit around 3k and I slowly pulled ahead - Prof did the decent and hung back to keep Benny company.

With one k to go I decided I really was bludging and kicked it down a gear to 4.30 pace - feeling pretty chuffed with myself till Prof went cruising past with about 300m to go - I was tempted to go with him but bit down on the discipline till about 40m out when I hit the full on sprint ubangi for Gnomey who was taking photo's (what can I say I'm a natural born show-boater) to bring the last split in at 4.22.

So 5k in a very comfortable 23.49 - very, very happy with that.

The return trip at 5.30 pace was shared with Tesso and Blue Dog till Colin came along and whisked away the Dog - the trot back on these outings was as always the most enjoyable part of the day - it's just nice after you have had a decent hit out to share some time and stories with friendly people in a great location.

I was mildly surprised to see we finished the 10k in 52.02 - considering my last 10k TT was 51.31 just before Christmas and I was absolutely shattered afterwards - today just felt like a trot in the park by comparison.

Very happy and chirpy 2P this morning - exit whistling :-)

14 comments:

Stephen Lacey said...

That's a very nice bit of running, sir.

Enjoy your trek tomorrow.

Gronk said...

Geeze 2P, that's a nippy time. No way I'd keep up with that now. On fire matey ! Full credit to you.

Jen said...

Sounds like 2P's got his groove back. Good to see :-)

Superflake said...

You should have run faster on the way back. I don't think the Professor was cruising, he hasn't been doing much training.

Shane said...

Very nice running there 2p!

Good to see the 'Vanity Fartlek' made an appearance in a race situation ;-)

No mention of the evil twins which is great news. Enjoy tomorrows run :-)

CJ said...

Great run 2P - always helps having great company too.

Ewen said...

I went straight to the end of this one! A sigh of relief was breathed :) Then I read between the lines. I think you're just playing with the sub-23 - just like Federer plays with his opponents.

Slow down, will ya!

Vicky said...

Great run 2p, sounds like fun!

MAR.

Mat said...

Congratulation on a good TT and a great run!

Vicki said...

Back on the up beat - good to see. Nice times! ahhhh one day...... :-)

running uphill said...

Nice run 2P. Boy you are getting fast.

TD said...

That Tesso does get around. I hope you finally got to give her that punch in the belly! That was a very nice effort there 2P.

Lulu said...

Sounds like a very pleasant way to start a Saturday. one day I'll actually make it to one of these 5km challenge thingies myself!

Tesso said...

Ha ha, you forgot to give me a punch in the belly. That means next time I have to give you two ... sorry, but them's the rules :-)

It was great to catch up again. Wow, you hammered that last km. In the pics on CR you look so much more like a sprinter than an ultra runner.

Thanks for the company on the journey back. Another 2k and you may well have convinced me trail running is the way to go :-)