Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Need For Speed

Today Total: 6k
Week Total: 16k
Month Total: 16k
Year Total: 16k

We were a bit late getting back from the shopping expedition today so with not much time available I made an impromptu decision to do a speed session.

Given I've done two consecutive hilly runs I didn't want to go full tilt as though I'm not sore the leggies are definitely a bit weary and I am exceedingly keen not to injure myself - so I decided on 1 x 3k, 1 x 2k & 1 x 1k with 3 minutes standing recovery..

1 x 3k in 14.40 @ 4.54 average
1 x 2k (with 150m steep uphill) in 9.37 @ 4.49 average
1 x 1k (with 400m gentle downhill) in 4.27

The leggies were surprisingly fine - it was the cardio-vas system that wouldn't let me go any harder - considering I ran 5k in March '06 at a 4.33 average I'm not quite back in shape yet - but I guess I'm getting there.

So you're safe for a little while yet Ewen :-)

9 comments:

Tesso said...

Tough session there 2P, 6k of hard yakka all up. And I was whinging because Pat made us do 4k of speedwork this morn.

TA and the Gnome said...

No one is safe when 2P's on the way back... :-)

Nice running at the start of a happy new year!

Gnome

Ellie80 said...

nice work speedy. now get back to work soon so we can harass you by email again!

Ewen said...

I was taking a close look at those times... pretty good. We have to average 4:36 kilometres. I may have an attempt Thursday week - it's a 10,000 but I'll bail out at 5k.

I too could get used to this holiday thing :)

Superflake said...

That last 1k always feels so long. Ewen should be worried!

Clairie said...

Good to see the last one is the fast one.

Happy new year 2P.

Wobbly man said...

That is looong speed work my friend! Only 3min recovery times between though? Sheez you are tough on yourself - I would need about 10 mins before even starting the next!

Hilda said...

Tough and fine? Great way to start the year, you are doing it right!

Katie said...

Nice work!!! I wish I was on holidays!!!!