Sunday, May 21, 2006

SMH Half

Today Total: 23k
Week Total: 35k
Month Total: 131k
Year Total: 1075k

I bludged :-)

Woke up with the back feeling a little grumpy but no major dramas and felt good enough to 'have a go' - unfortunately I was a little late getting to the start and was well back in the field but again no major dramas.

It took about 1m 50s to get across the start line and once it opened up a bit I just concentrated on staying out of trouble and working up to racing speed. Went through the first k in about 6.50 (gun time) which meant I had judged it nicely and it all felt pretty good.

Going up Hunter Street the first time and I got the first signs that today was not going to be my day as pain started to shoot down through my glutes - I ignored it for a while but half way down to Mrs Macquaries Chair I just snatched it and decided I was on a training run.

Across the top of my pelvis and down through my glutes remained pretty whingy even at a reduced pace and I really wasn't enjoying myself a whole lot and coming through the finish the first time in a bit over an hour I figured I'd be happy with anything sub 2 hours.

Thankfully somewhere around the 12k mark the pain level eased significantly and then finally disappeared (??) and I really started to enjoy myself. I had the curious pleasure of enjoying the second trip up Hunter Street a whole lot more than I did the first.

I briefly flirted with getting back into racing mode but then thought why, what's the point? Just enjoy it! And that is exactly what I did. I took my Gu at 15.5k - I didn't really need it but I'd carried it so why not?

I pretty much just cruised the last 5 or so k's - if I was famous I'd have had time to sign autographs and it was kind of nice passing bucket loads of people for a change whilst having time and the inclination to take in my surroundings.

Turned it up to about 4.40 pace for the last k along Hickson Road and crossed the finish line feeling like I'd been out for a bit of a stroll in around 1.56.25 gun time, 1.54.XX nett.

After seeing some CR's: Gronk, Nico, Truckie, Aunty K, Blkbox, Eagle, Horrie and others (?) I tracked down Mrs 2P to say g'day and then headed back out on the course to find the rest of Team DSA.

I first found CR Pipe looking replendent in his DSA gear - I then found CR's Lucky Legs and Ewen (not part of team DSA) and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to run with CR royalty - being nervous I think I alternatively called Lucky Legs Norma and Lorna (only one of which is her name). LL was moving well and as I was struggling to keep up so I begged off and turned to resume my search.

I found Paul halfway down the hill above the last drink station and ultimately Susan a bit further back. Susan deserves a big wrap - having never been a runner she set her sights on this race in late January and went from couch to half marathon in a few short months and I really enjoyed running the last 1.5k with her.

The plan had been to go across to the pub but Mrs 2P wasn't feeling too chipper so after touching base with some other Team DSA members in Dawes Park we headed off home.

Whilst I have to confess I did enjoy the second lap, I really don't think I am cut out for mass participation events - ok every now and again but they are not really my cup of tea - still it was nice to catch up with a bunch of CR's both on the course and afterwards.

25 comments:

Steve's Stuff said...

If I was there in the crowd, I'd ask for your autograph.

Sorry to hear that it didn't quite pan out like you hoped.

Hmmm so you don't like the push and shove at the start.....I thought that's what makes the events so interesting.

Horrie said...

Sorry you couldn't make it back to the Palisades 2p. I was happy to run as part of Team DSA today and glad I helped share the message for you guys. Shame about your run too. I hope your back is alright for PMC.

Superflake said...

Well done on getting through the race in obvious pain from your back. Hope it doesn't cause any long lasting damage. Get it fixed and get back out on the road soon mate.

Katie said...

Hey 2P!!! Great to give you a cheer... sorry I missed you at the end~ too many people! I was finding it hard to spot people in the crowd :-) Look after your back!

TD said...

I really feel for you and that back mate. Sounds painful and I don't know how you got through the run. I was hoping to say gidday and heard you were around but I had no hope of finding you among the masses. I was with LL and Ewen at the start for a while before squirming my way towards the front.

Tesso said...

Hope you can get that back problem sorted out soon 2P, it doesn't sound like much fun at all.

You don't like the mass participation events? Come to Warwick this time next year!


PS We'll have to start calling The Owl Norma :-)

Don Juan said...

Well done on just getting out there. I was confident you wouldn't be a DNS.
Thanks for the cheer on Hunter street/Pitt Street.

Hilda said...

Sorry to hear about that pain just in the middle of the race.
Still it sounds pretty fun to be there among so many runners!!

Recover completely now!

Mandy said...

Smart move...but what's wrong with racing for enjoyment? My legs have only sort of kind of showed up just once for one of my races...I race to see my running club guys do well...cause I certainly don't!..and well swag..lol

Lulu said...

Perhaps you've discovered the ultimate back pain cure;) Glad you enjoyed yourself and I hope the back behaves itself from now on.

Spud said...

Hey you managed to get through it. Well done, hope you get the back sorted though, looking forward to seeing you at PMC, not exactly a mass participation race ;-)

Gronk said...

Sorry that the back thing cramped your style 2P. I hope you can get on top of it real soon. Good to see you yesterday. :)

Stephen Lacey said...

Good on yer mate. That is a much better race report than one that ends with "DNF"! It's not what happens to us, it's what we do about it...and as usual, you've made the mot of the situation. Let's hope that first half was a permanent back cure.

Ellie80 said...

i'm with the rest of this crew - nice run given challenging circumstances! hope you've shown the back who's the boss permanently now!!

Clairie said...

Well done 2p. I agree with you on the Mass events....not much fun having to jostle around. They are generally expensive races, not a PB course and lots of waiting around before and after.

Having done Warwick on the weekend I will certainly be keen to do more of the out of the way country races that bring a small knit group together closer than family!
(mmmm or maybe I shouldn't be talking out of school about our weekend away *grins*)

Very proud of your efforts in both the racing and overcoming your pain. Always a tough one.

Bernie G said...

Great effort, I did see you across the path when you were heading towards Mrs Macquaries Chair.

Spark Driver said...

In all it sounds like you had a good run. Well done.

Chelle said...

I was a bit worried when I started reading your blog, but it sounds like you managed to recover just enough to get to the end and comfortably under the 2hours, so well done.

Rachel said...

Bummer about your back. Hope you can get it sorted soon. What's next on the agenda? Hopefully you'll be injury free for the next race.

miners said...

Sorry to hear that your worst-fears were realised soonish in the race. Glad you were able to record a good time though, and pretty much enjoy the day in the end mate.

We'll have you doing more mass-participation runs before you know it ;)

Ewen said...

She'll answer to anything 2P, except 'slow'.

It was great to finally put a runner to the blog. Thanks for joining us for a while on Sunday - I know it meant a lot to Laura. I hope the back problem clears up soon.

Cirque said...

OK - the race is over - so NOW will you start looking after yourself?


PLEASE?

Jen said...

You are one tough bugger ;-)

Unknown said...

Lorna/Norma/Laura/Lara/Leura/Toora-loora-Toora-loora...that's a Luckylegs lullabye!!

Thank you so much, 2P, for running with me in that last stretch. I felt really humbled & so grateful that you would take time to do this. Don't give away the big numbers events...I'll be needing you again!

TA and the Gnome said...

You had so much fun in the 2nd half, maybe you should run in pain for the first half more often! :-) Good to see it didn't stop you (I don't think that much could...)

Gnome