Saturday, May 13, 2006

Cruise Intervals

Today Total: 12k
Week Total: 22k
Month Total: 96k
Year Total: 1063k

After seeing St Andrew again yesterday my back was noticably better for the first time this week so I went home and straight to bed at 6.15pm and slept through to 8.30am. Having not slept for anything longer than a cat-nap for 5 nights I was exhausted.

My back was still stiff this morning but not the spasms I've been having so definitely on the improve - decided discretion was the better part etc so left it till this arvo to go for a run.

Given the little time left before SMH I decided specificity was the way to go so after a 2k warm up I did 5 X 1k cruise intervals at < 4.50 pace (about 15 seconds faster than projected race pace) with the floats at around 5.45.

I found the intervals fine, but got quite a bit of referred nerve pain down through my glutes on the slower floats which was a bit weird - I even had to stop a couple of times to let the pressure ease a bit during the slower laps.

All up the stats are 12k in 63.04 (av 5.15) average heartrate 167bpm (90%).

Anyway it's done - probably won't run tomorrow due to family commitments but I think that might be a good thing.

13 comments:

Cirque said...

I'm confused. When is the wonder people run? Have I missed something?

Rachel said...

Hope your back improves soon. That was a long sleep! A good massage and a run does the trick.

Jen said...

Good first step back 2P. I'm sure a bit more magic from the saint and you'll be flying like wonderwoman in no time at all

Stephen Lacey said...

Returned a good time on that sleep rep!

Take care of the back, huh. They are b@st@ards of things, backs. A few more easy days won't hurt, and they aint a lot more juice that can be put in the tank between now and next Sunday.

Tesso said...

There's only one thing to do to avoid that pain you are getting on the slower reps, just keep doing fast ones :-)

Hope the back improves, I can't imagine you'd feel like doing too much at the moment. Well done for getting out and running.

Fingers crossed all will be well by next weekend.

Hilda said...

You always recover so fast, that you will be ready for next week no doubt!

Katie said...

I think I will be cheering you next week. I have had two runs... no pain but still really stiff in the back, so I do not think it is worth it. I will give you a hige cheer though!!! Take care of yourself this week!

Don Juan said...

Good speed session. Hope the back settles down.

Just burn all the furniture next time, and get some ikea or bean-bags.

Ewen said...

Yes, you could cut out the floats! That's what you'll be doing next Sunday 2P. Enjoy the advanced taper. :)

Unknown said...

Take a few easier days, 2P, or you'll see me flying past you on Sunday! Wouldn't that be funny!!

TD said...

2P, I've had my own back problems and it certainly can be a worry. Ewen's advanced taper option seems to be the way to go. Might be able to catch up with you next Sunday.

silverfox said...

Take it easy on the back 2p. Make sure you sure you are 100% nex sunday. Hard work is done now, enjoy an easy week.

Steve's Stuff said...

90% average for heart rate. I'm assuming you maxed out higher than that. Hope the back improves.