Friday, May 19, 2006

Drama Queen

Today Total: 5k
Week Total: 12k
Month Total: 108k
Year Total: 1075k

Considering changing my handle again - this time to Drama Queen. As some of the more astute of you have pointed out first Six Foot and now SMH! At least this time it wasn't a training injury.

Anyhoo - in short the back has been giving me gyp and I have also been working pretty long hours so as my new mantra suggests maybe it is just the universe unfolding as it should.

I really should have done tonights run yesterday but there was too much pain. This morning was still a bit ugly but a trip to St Andrew (my chiro) and my new best buddy the local apothecary had me raring to go tonight. I was doubly motivated because my new DSA (the charity I work for) running kit (read Wonder Woman lookalike outfit) was delivered and I wanted to give it a whirl.

The plan was to run around the 5min mark on a hilly(ish) course and see how it felt. It felt good - but I think it is a little quick for a half marathon pace for me - maybe on a flat course like the Central Coast but not SMH.

Final stats were 5k in 24.55 (av 4.59) @ an average heartrate of 168bpm - a smidge over 90% for me.

To add to the Drama Queen status I took a tumble over the gutter crossing the road - fortunately 25 or so years of kung fu training are good for something and I only lost a tiny bit of bark - I must admit my first thought was for my new running gear and Garmin - glad I still have my priorities right :-)

So the plan for the half? Don't got one! No point in worrying about it till Sunday morning. Back feels good right at this minute but I've got five or six hours in the car tomorrow going to Bathurst and back to visit the Halfpenny. If I feel good on Sunday morning then I will probably go out at a 5.05 to 5.10 pace and see what happens. If I feel crap I'll go out in a 5.40 pace and just run a 2 hour training run.

Thanks for all the good wishes guys - hope to catch up with a few of you on Sunday and all the best to the Warwick contingent too. Also special thanks to Go Girl, Horrie, Sarge, another CR lurker and me mate Paul who have all volunteered to run in Team DSA colours on the weekend.

8 comments:

Steve's Stuff said...

Good luck with the run on Sunday. I'm sure it'll be alright on the night, so to speak.

Hilda said...

Let's see what you call a 2 hour training run...
You lucky aussie runners, have fun this weekend.
I wish I could be there!

Mandy said...

Are there tights? oh oh or a cape? I will donate $$ to your charity to see that.

Ellie80 said...

goodluck tomorrow 2P!!! i hope that the back holds out and you do wonder woman proud :)

Lulu said...

I'm sure you will all look fab in your wonder woman gear! Have a great run and I hope the back behaves itself.

Superflake said...

Can you lasoo Blue Dog for me before the start? I need to keep him in sight. Hope the back doesn't give you any problems with all that concrete tomorrow.

Rachel said...

Good luck 2P!

Don Juan said...

Hope to see you tomorrow in the wonder gear.