Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Almost A Grand Run

Today Total: 10k + 20k MTB
Week Total: 32k
Month Total: 32k
Year Total: 999k

Hehe 1k short of the 1000k YTD milestone - just messin with your head Tesso ;-)

Edit:Got home in time to squeeze in 20k on the bike @ 135bpm for another hour of low heartrate training before a blog and shower PB and heading off to training :-)

I did briefly think about putting in an extra k this morning and call me puerile if you like, but I like to see the numbers line up - just the same way as I used to love it as a kid watching the speedo in my Dads old '64 XP Falcon. I remember vividly the excitement that grew as we approached the one hundred thousand mile mark - we kids were hanging over the from the backseat (no seat belts back then) eyes glued to the speedo as the numbers clicked over (didn't have many toys back then either!).

Anyhoo another 10k at low heartrate of av 141bpm. Had real trouble keeping it low for the first k - in fact I couldn't - at a 7min pace I was pushing up into the 160's??? The only thing different was I DIDN'T drink coffee this morning - this seems a little counter-intuitive as caffeine generally elevates heartrate. The only conclusion I can draw is that it must also kick start my metabolism and not having had coffee this morning it took 6 or 7 mins for my system to click into gear? Dunno.

After the first k everything was sweet and nearly all of the next 9k's went at sub 6.30 pace - wooohooo I'm almost up to a jog :-)

12 comments:

High Power Rocketry said...

: )

Tesso said...

Arrgghhhh - 999km. Yes, you are messing with my head!

At Pat's recent nutrition seminar the speaker told us that caffiene reduces perceived exertion somewhat. So does that fit in with your counter-intuitive statement. Maybe its counter-counter-intuitive.

Steve's Stuff said...

You've beaten me to the 1000 mark (or you will) as I'm still 50 or so behind. Congrats on 1k milestone.

Spark Driver said...

Ah when we where young. I tell my kids about the monumental occasions of speedo milestones. They look up from the built in car DVD player like I am nuts!

Cirque said...

I understand that compulsion to watch the numbers turning over. The other day I was idly wondering whether all my trips to Ipswich had made my car go over 165,000k and when I looked down to check it was on 164,998. I nearly had an accident from driving the next 2k with my eyes glued to the dashboard.

TD said...

2p, I loved reading you blog and love the way you write. Keep it short, simple, and easy to read. Lessons for us all there.

Jen said...

Interesting. I dont have a coffee before I ran. Maybe that's why I feel terrible for the first 10mins. Might be time for me to conduct an experiment :-)

Ewen said...

So, you'll do a 1000m time trial tomorrow 2P?

Ah, the no seat belt days... sleeping on a matress in the back of Dad's HG wagon while driving on holidays...

Superflake said...

You think you could have done one more lap of the block. Not pushing hard enough 2P.I think I just cracked 300k YTD Yeehah!

D said...

Skipped the coffee 2P???????
This heartrate experiment appears to be working 2P....I just don't know if I possess the patience you do!

Katie said...

Your such a tease ;-) I can't believe you left it a 999km!!!!

You were sounding a little Rainman with that speedo story ;-)

Unknown said...

The art and craftsmanship of the original designs are evident in Tiffany and co
. silver rings
is the world’s leading designer and manufacturer of quality reproductions and Tiffany earrings
. Based on the original colored art glass designs originated and made popular by silver earrings
.
Before buying lida
, you will have to consult with your doctor first. Ephedra was acclimated by lots of accepted lida daidaihua
aback in the day. daidaihua
is based on ancient Chinese formula. The lida slimming
stick to the basic theme. slimming capsule
is purely natural as it is made from plants no acids. slimming capsules
burns our fat naturally.